Western Michigan University
1903 W Michigan Ave
Kalamazoo MI 49008-5257 USA
- Ph.D., Sociology, Western Michigan University, 1983
- M.A., Sociology, Western Michigan University, 1979
- B.A., Sociology with emphasis on criminal justice, Western Michigan University, 1977
Dr. Susan Caringella is a professor of sociology at Western Michigan University. Caringella is an internationally known expert on rape, feminism and criminology. She has published extensively in academic books and journals on topics ranging from rape to violence against women, legislative change, sociological theory, political ideology and public opinion. Her work has been widely cited and recognized with national, state and university scholarship awards and honors. She was honored as the Distinguished Scholar by the Division on Women and Crime of the American Society of Criminology in 1998 and recognized with a Lifetime Achievement Award in 1993 by the Division on Critical Criminology, the second of only three divisions within the American Society of Criminology at that time.
Caringella was the founding chairperson of the Division on Critical Criminology of the American Society of Criminology and was elected to serve as the chairperson of the Division on Crime and Juvenile Delinquency for the Society for the Study of Social Problems. She has been prominent in other premier national professional associations such as the Academy of Criminal Justice Sciences and the American Sociological Association.
She has published in esteemed journals such as the:
- Journal of Research on Crime and Delinquency
- Journal of Interpersonal Violence
- Social Justice
- Contemporary Crisis
- International Journal of Victimology.
She has served on a task force reporting to Attorney Janet Reno on rape, domestic violence and women in prison, and is currently a consultant with the National Institute of Justice and the Centers for Disease Control. She serves as:
- A deputy editor for the Journal of Women and Criminal Justice.
- An editorial board member for the Journal of Violence Against Women: An International and Interdisciplinary Journal, the most successful journal ever launched by Sage publications.