Western Michigan University
1903 W Michigan Ave
Kalamazoo MI 49008-5257 USA
Dr. Tom VanValey retired from Western Michigan University in 2007 as professor emeritus of sociology. He previously was a faculty member at Colorado State University, the University of Massachusetts (Amherst) and the University of Virginia.
VanValey has approximately 50 refereed publications to his credit and has made more than 150 presentations at regional, national and international professional meetings and workshops.
VanValey has been involved in applied social research for more than 30 years and has been director or co-director of more than 75 research projects, totaling more than $3.5 million. He directed the Michigan Alcohol and Other Drugs project, which administered substance abuse surveys to eighth, 10th and 12th graders in Michigan public schools.
He is co-director of a two-year, NSF-sponsored project on ethical decision-making. VanValey is working on a research project with Kathleen Tiemann of the University of North Dakota on the patterns of mobility into and out of the position of department chair and factors related to those decisions.
VanValey has been actively involved in professional organizations including:
- Michigan Sociological Association, where he held several offices.
- Teaching Committee and Council of the North Central Sociological Association, where he was a member.
- Council for Undergraduate Research, where he was elected councilor.
- American Sociological Association's Department Resources group, where he was an active member.
- ASA's Committee on Professional Ethics, where is is a past chair.