Burgos Program Application
Since all classes will be conducted in Spanish by
instructors of the Universidad de Burgos, this
program will be open only to students who meet the
- WMU student, at least 18 years old, with good
overall academic standing
- Sophomore standing by the
beginning of study in Burgos
- Completion of at
least the third-year level of college Spanish (SPAN 3160 and 3170 or equivalent) with a minimum
average grade of 3.0 (B) in Spanish classes
least one Spanish class completed at WMU
- Students accepted for this program
are expected to speak only Spanish during their stay
in Burgos, both in class and out. The application
procedure includes recommendations from faculty and
an interview in Spanish.
the Burgos program description and application
- The application consists of the:
- Online application
- Short essay describing reasons for wanting to participate in the program
- Three letters of recommendation (part of the online application)
- The fall application phase begins in mid-September. A second application phase will take place during the following spring semester if all positions are not
filled during the fall phase. Early
application is encouraged and appreciated.
- Applicants will be scheduled for an interview
with the Department of Spanish scholarship committee.
- A student accepted for admission will be
requested to complete additional necessary information, including a
permission/release form and a health/physician's form. A program
deposit of $500 may be charged to the student's
account soon after acceptance. Students will receive
instructions for payment of the program balance.
- Students will be required to attend orientation
meetings conducted on campus by the WMU faculty
- Passport: Students who receive
acceptance into the program should apply immediately
for a passport if they do not already have one.
Students who already have a passport should verify
that it is valid at least six months beyond the final
date of this program. No visa is required for summer
II study in Santander.