Individuals interested in professional employment as a speech-language pathologist or audiologist must earn a graduate degree in speech-language pathology (M.A. or M.S.) or audiology (Au.D.).
The Post-Baccalaureate Prerequisite Sequence in speech-language pathology and audiology at Western Michigan University is designed for individuals who have earned an undergraduate degree in an area other than communication disorders or speech pathology and audiology and wish to prepare for future graduate study in speech-language pathology or audiology. Upon completion of the two semester sequence, students will have completed the prerequisite coursework necessary for application to most graduate programs in speech-language pathology or audiology. Completion of the Sequence does not guarantee admission into Western Michigan University's graduate programs in speech-language pathology or audiology. Please refer to the Post-Baccalaurate web page for details regarding admission to the Sequence.
Typical Course Sequence
• SPPA 2030 Normal Lang. Acquisition 3cr.
• SPPA 2040 Phonetics 3cr.
• SPPA 2041 Phonetics Lab 1cr.
• SPPA 2070 Clinic Laboratory (includes 25 hours of clinic observation) 3cr.
• SPPA 3580 Disorders of Hearing: ID & Mgmt. 3cr.
• SPPA 2050 Speech Anatomy & Physiology 3cr.
• SPPA 2060 Hearing Science 3cr.
• SPPA 3510 Phonemic Disorders 2cr.
• SPPA 3540 Language Disorders in Children 3cr.
• SPPA 4560 Rehabilitation Audiology 3cr.