The Starting Gate accelerator program is a semester long (100 day) program with a mission to help current WMU students (sophomore and above) achieve success in their business endeavors. Starting and developing a new business is hard work and takes a significant amount of time. Students will be required to participate in programs designed to increase their chances for success. These include weekly attendance commitments, multiple meetings with mentors, attending entrepreneurial speaker events, trainings and workshops. Please consider the time commitment before submitting your application.
At least one owner of the business must be currently enrolled at WMU. Both undergraduate and graduate students are welcome to participate. Students will be admitted on a semester basis and must demonstrate adequate progress in order to retain their membership in the program. All student participants must be in good academic standing prior to admittance and while participating in the program.
- May 1: Applications must be submitted.
- May 8-12: Applicants may be interviewed via phone, in-person, Skype, or Google Hangout.
- May 15: Selected companies notified.
- May 22: Introduction to Starting Gate meeting.
Before beginning the application, please gather all materials and review the complete application.
- Names and information about team members.
- Social network addresses for startup, if available.
- Names and information about mentors, if available.
- 140-character description of the startup.
- Description of your business model, including how your business creates and delivers value, earns profits and generates income.
- Target customers.
- Major accomplishments.
- Full description (up to 500 words).
- Business pitch video or a product demonstration video, if available.