Join us on October 22nd and 23rd as WMU observes the 11th Annual National Campus Sustainability Day! We have assembled events that celebrate local efforts and stimulate conversation about what makes a sustainable campus and community while spotlighting local sustainability champions and identifying emerging new leaders.
This year features a community roundtable with President Dunn, Kalamazoo Mayor Bobby Hopewell, and other campus and community leaders; a campus sustainability features tour; an open house and project showcase in the Office for Sustainability; a Sustainability Slam; and many other activities.
Community Roundtable Kickoff - Tuesday, October 22nd
The Community Sustainability Roundtable will begin at 7 p.m. in Schneider Hall's Brown Auditorium. Community panelists will provide their answers to the theme question - "What does sustainability mean to me?", followed by open discussion. A reception catered by WMU Catering Services will immediately follow the Roundtable at 8:30 p.m.
Parking for this event is free at WMU Lot 72R.
The full list of community roundtable panelists includes:
- Dr. John M. Dunn (President, WMU)
- Mayor Bobby Hopewell (City of Kalamazoo)
- Karen Bondarchuk (Associate Professor of Art, Frostic School of Art, WMU)
- Felix Brooks Jr. (Community Investment Officer, Kalamazoo Community Foundation)
- Nicole Davenport (Western Student Association Sustainability Chair)
- Jennifer Hsu (Coordinator, Office of Diversity and Inclusion, WMU)
- Steve Kohler (Director of Environmental Studies Program, WMU)
- Jennifer Palthe (Associate Professor of Management, WMU)
- Seseer Prudence Mou (Wesustain Graduate Intern)
National Campus Sustainability Day - Wednesday, October 23rd
National Campus Sustainability Day, will feature events designed to broaden engagement and participation across campus and in the community while showcasing community sustainability projects and leaders. Free parking will be available for the events at the Office for Sustainability.
Key events include:
- 11:30 a.m. - 11:50 a.m. - Honeywell collaboration celebration in the Chemistry Building Lobby
- 12:00 - 12:50 p.m. - Hosted or self-guided campus sustainability features walking tour leaving from the Office for Sustainability (Sustainability features maps will be available at the Office for Sustainability all day and online soon)
- 12:00 - 12:50 - Student Living Building Challenge video and discussion
- 2:00 - 2:50 p.m. - Climate Action Plan discussion session
- 4:00 - 7:00 p.m. - Office for Sustainability Open House, Project Showcase, and reception
- 7:00 - 8:30 p.m. - Sustainability Slam at the Office for Sustainability followed by dessert and an opportunity to meet the "slammers". The Slam is inspired by programs like the Moth Radio Hour, TED Talks, and Poetry Slams. Slammers have been challenged to share what they believe makes for a sustainable and desirable community by laying out their vision and making a call to action. The first twenty participant submissions received by midnight on October 21st will be chosen to present their work at the Sustainability Slam, with the winner being chosen at the event.
All events are free and open to the public.
Registration is not required.