Behavioral Health Services, formerly University Substance Abuse Clinic, at Western Michigan University is a licensed and accredited outpatient substance use and behavioral health disorder treatment provider in Michigan. Substance use disorder and other behavioral health treatment services are provided by therapists licensed and credentialed in the state of Michigan who have extensive training in the delivery of assessment, individual, group and family treatment services. Behavioral Health Services also serves as a training site for graduate level health and human services students who provide treatment services under the supervision of the Behavioral Health Services clinical director and in affiliation with Western Michigan University's specialty program in alcohol and drug abuse.
Who can benefit?
Anyone who is currently experiencing problems with the use of alcohol or other drugs, mental health difficulties or other behavioral health challenges as well as those required to participate in treatment for substance use problems can benefit from our services. The duration and intensity of treatment services are matched to the individual's needs following a thorough assessment. Students, involved with the University's Office of Student Conduct, can benefit from prevention and diversion programs we offer. Behavioral Health Services provides counseling services to individuals of the Kalamazoo, southwest Michigan and WMU community, as well as WMU students and other young adults experiencing substance use problems or mental health challenges. Counseling services are offered at no cost to WMU Blue Cross Blue Shield PPO participants and their dependents.
- Alcohol awareness services
- Assessment and counseling for mental health issues
- Consultation, information and education regarding addiction and related mental health problems
- Driver's license restoration
- Gender specific treatment services
- Group counseling for substance misuse or behavioral health problems
- Individual counseling
- Prevention and diversion interventions
- Services for WMU students and employees
- Services for multiple drinking/driving offenders
- Substance use assessment and evaluation services
- Substance abuse services for those involved in the criminal justice system
- Treatment services designed specifically for women and men
What problems are addressed?
- Alcohol and other drug use problems
- Behavioral health problems related to health
- Co-occurring problems of substance use and mental health
- Family or couples challenges
- Legal or criminal justice problems related to substance use
- Life stage adjustments
- Mood difficulties
- Mental health struggles
- Stress due to traumatic life events
Click here for our resource page
Behavioral Health Services has two locations in Kalamazoo:
1000 Oakland Dr
Kalamazoo MI 49008 USA
834 King Highway
Kalamazoo MI 49001 USA
To learn more information about Behavioral Health Services, please call (269) 387-8230. Referral forms can be found here.