Clausing lauded for 50 years of engineering scholarships
April 5, 2002
KALAMAZOO -- A scholarship award marking the 50th consecutive year of a Kalamazoo company's support for Western Michigan University engineering students will be celebrated in a special ceremony Tuesday, April 9.
Clausing Industrial Inc. will be recognized for its outstanding support of the Department of Industrial and Manufacturing Engineering , the College of Engineering and Applied Sciences, and WMU during the department's annual Student Recognition and Awards Luncheon. Special guests scheduled to appear at the presentation include Clausing President Bill Nancarrow and WMU President Elson S. Floyd. The event is set for 11:30 a.m. in Room 1063 of Kohrman Hall.
This year's award of the 2002 Clausing Scholarship marks the 50th consecutive year one or more students from the department has benefited from the generosity of Clausing Industrial. The scholarship was first awarded in 1953 when it was known as the Atlas Press Scholarship. Atlas Press became Clausing Industrial in the late 1960s and the scholarship has been known as the Clausing Scholarship ever since.
WMU's relationship with Clausing extends back to 1916 when the University purchased the Eames Mill from Atlas Press founders George Eames and Jason Penniman. Eames Mill housed the Department of Manual Arts from 1916 until 1921, when the Manual Arts Building was completed. The College of Engineering and Applied Sciences evolved from the Department of Manual Arts to a college with 18 undergraduate programs, 11 master's and five doctoral degree programs in engineering, technology and applied sciences.
Clausing Industrial Inc. provides quality machine tool products including drill presses, lathes, grinders, milling machines, and saws for manufacturing industries. The company is located at 1819 N. Pitcher Street in Kalamazoo.
Media contact: Cheryl Roland, 269 387-8400, firstname.lastname@example.org