Home > WMU News
Campus construction slated for August
July 26, 2010
KALAMAZOO--Western Michigan University will undertake several projects during August, which will affect campus roads, parking lots and ramps.
All projects are scheduled to begin the week of Aug. 2 or Aug. 9, with completion of all work expected by Aug. 27, weather permitting.
- Western Avenue from South Hayes Road (University Arena) to Auditorium Drive (Miller Ramp) will be completely resurfaced with significant curb work beginning Aug. 9, which will result in lane closings and delays.
- Parking Structure No. 1 next to Ellsworth Hall will be reduced to one-lane entry from West Michigan Avenue, and all vehicles will exit from the third level onto North Dormitory Road beginning Aug. 2. Also, the top level will be closed for one week for resurfacing.
- Parking Structure No. 2 next to Miller Auditorium will have minor surface repairs and caulking beginning Aug. 9. Also, the northeast stairs, closest to Miller, will be closed for three weeks for repairs.
- Engineering Parking Structure on the Parkview Campus, top levels only, will be closed for about two weeks for repairs beginning Aug. 9.
- Parking Lot 88 at the Kalamazoo Center for Medical Studies on the Oakland Drive Campus will be resurfaced beginning Aug. 2, with one-half of the lot under construction at a time.
In addition to the construction projects listed above being done by the University, Howard Street north of campus is expected to remain closed for much of August and West Michigan Avenue next to the Student Recreation Center and Kanley Track will be reduced to one lane for most of August. Howard Street and West Michigan Avenue are public road projects contracted by the city of Kalamazoo.
Media contact: Thom Myers, (269) 387-8400, firstname.lastname@example.org
Office of University Relations
Western Michigan University
Kalamazoo MI 49008-5433 USA