Parking lots closed Tuesday for officer Zapata's funeral
April 22, 2011 | WMU News
Public safety officer Eric Zapata
KALAMAZOO--Several parking lots in the area of Miller Auditorium at Western Michigan University will be closed Tuesday, April 26, for the funeral of Kalamazoo Department of Public Safety officer Eric Zapata, who was shot and killed in the line of duty April 18.
Map of parking areas for funeral [PDF]
Bus routes and schedules affected
The service begins at 11 a.m. in Miller Auditorium, and a capacity audience is expected. Several lots will be closed beginning at 6 a.m. Tuesday and will be open only to people arriving for the service. WMU Public Safety staff will be present to assist motorists. Lots are expected to reopen for normal campus use at 3 p.m.
Lots closed Tuesday, April 26
- Lot 33, designated for "R" (employee) parking permits, directly south of Miller Auditorium and Gilmore Theatre Complex.
- Lot 35, Miller Parking Ramp, the east section of the first level only will be closed and used for handicap and reserved parking for the service. The upper levels of the Miller ramp will remain open to students and others with WMU parking permits.
- Lot 92, designated for "W" (student) parking permits, south of Miller Auditorium across Western Avenue.
- Lot 64, designated for "W" (student) parking permits, east of Lawson Ice Arena on Worner Drive.
- Lot 70, designated for any WMU parking permit, directly south of Lawson Ice Arena. A small section will remain open for a previously scheduled open swim event.
- Lot 75, designated for "W" (student) parking permits, directly west of Lawson Ice Arena off Hussey Drive.
- Lot 63, designated for "W" (student) and "R" (employee) parking permits, north of Lawson Ice Arena across Worner Drive.
- Lot 65, designated for "B," "E" and "H" (apartment) parking permits at the Stadium Drive Apartments. The north section will be closed, but the south section directly surrounding the apartment buildings will remain open to residents.
Students, faculty and staff who normally park in the closed lots are encouraged to make other plans for Tuesday and allow extra time for travel. Lot 34, directly south of the Miller Parking Ramp, will remain open to students, faculty and staff, but significant delays are expected.
All motorists not attending the funeral are encouraged to avoid the area around Miller Auditorium, Lawson Ice Arena, Western Avenue, Van De Giessen Road, Stadium Drive and Howard Street between 8 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. Tuesday because of high traffic volume expected.
Public parking for those attending the memorial service will be available in Parking Lot 76, off Knollwood Avenue.
For more information, contact WMU Public Safety at (269) 387-5555.
Visit Kalamazoo Department of Public Safety online to read more about public safety officer Eric Zapata, get details on visitation and funeral arrangements, or contribute to the PSO Zapata Memorial Fund.