Study Abroad implements online application system
Nov. 21, 2011 | WMU News
Students can now apply online for Study Abroad programs.
KALAMAZOO--The Study Abroad
office at Western Michigan University recently launched an Internet-based student application system
called Broncos Abroad.
The Broncos Abroad system will manage all study abroad program information and provide a greatly improved online application and approval environment for WMU students, faculty and staff. It is based on the Studio Abroad program designed by the Terra Dotta company that is being used by study abroad offices in more than 140 colleges and universities across the country.
The WMU version was implemented with support from the Office of Information Technology and is integrated with the University's Banner student information system.
"We're very excited about this new system," says Jane Blyth Warren, WMU director of study abroad and global program development. "It will be easier for students to find information on our study abroad programs and to apply for the program of their choice. It will also help us better support students while they're abroad by having information about where students are living and traveling so we can quickly make contact in the event of a crisis situation."
Starting with applicants for short-term summer and semester-long or academic-year programs that begin in fall 2012, Broncos Abroad will support the WMU community with:
- Registration and tracking of all student, staff and faculty travel for credit and noncredit programs, courses and activities.
- An enhanced searchable database of all WMU and non-WMU approved off-campus programs.
- Easy access to budget information for individual programs.
- A user "dashboard" that allows students to login anytime to track processing of their applications.
- Improved online ability for faculty directors to monitor their program's enrollment and to obtain immediate email confirmation for each application that is submitted.
- A more user-friendly faculty recommendation area that allows faculty to login anytime to review all pending and completed requests for recommendations and students to include personal information and notes with their requests.
- An enhanced email function that improves the ability of faculty directors and study abroad specialists to communicate via a single message with all students enrolled in a program.
- More options for including pre-departure information in the student application process.
- Significantly improved study abroad data and reporting functions.
- The provision of digital records, greatly reducing data-entry and paper and printer toner use.
For more information, visit broncosabroad.international.wmich.edu or contact Jane Blyth Warren at email@example.com or (269) 387-3954.
Scholarships available for short-term summer study abroad