Trustees approve retirements of five faculty, 11 staff members
Dec. 13, 2011 | WMU News
KALAMAZOO--The retirements of five faculty members and 11 staff members were approved by the Western Michigan University Board of Trustees at its Dec. 8 meeting.
Trustees also signed off on four resignations, one promotion and two changes in departmental affiliations for faculty members.
All of the retiring faculty members have been granted emeritus status. Their names, positions, years of continuous service and effective dates of retirement are:
- Dr. Thomas C. Bailey (change in retirement date only), professor of English, 41 years, effective Dec. 31, 2011.
- Dr. Suzanne Hedstrom (change in retirement date only), associate professor of counselor education and counseling psychology, 23 years, effective June 30, 2012.
- Dr. Charles E. Hines Jr. (change in retirement date only), associate professor of accountancy, 35 years, effective Aug. 31, 2012.
- Dr. Elizabeth A. Hoger, associate professor of business information systems, 23 years, effective April 30, 2017.
- John F. Nielsen, master faculty specialist in social work, 16 years, effective Dec. 31, 2012.
The retiring staff members are:
- Barbara J. Alexander, office assistant in teacher certification, 11 years, effective Oct. 15, 2011.
- John M. Barney, electrician in maintenance services, 23 years, effective Sept. 30, 2011.
- Mary J. Devenney, coordinator of insurance services in the Unified Clinics, 14 years, effective Dec. 31, 2011.
- James B. Dexheimer, coordinator of fast cataloging in University Libraries, 19 years, effective Dec. 12, 2011.
- Pamela J. Emery, assistant director of WMU-Grand Rapids, 22 years, effective Dec. 11, 2011.
- Barbara A. Gustafson, financial services specialist in student financial aid and scholarships, 31 years, effective Dec. 31, 2011.
- Cheryl J. Lay, director of conferences and seminars in lifelong learning and education, 18 years, effective Jan. 9, 2012.
- Kanti S. Sandhu, production and multimedia developer in information technology, 37 years, effective Dec. 31, 2011.
- James L. Schultz, director of WMU-Grand Rapids, 17 years, effective Jan. 3, 2012.
- James D. Short, custodian in building support and custodial services, 15 years, effective Dec. 11, 2011.
- Alicia J. Yeagley, office coordinator in the College of Arts and Sciences, 33 years, effective Dec. 31, 2011.
Other personnel changes
The resigning faculty members are:
- Dr. Allison L. Baer, associate professor of special education and literacy studies, effective Dec. 31, 2011.
- Daniel W. Briggs, instructor of mathematics, effective Dec. 20, 2011.
- Birong Ho, associate professor of University Libraries, effective Nov. 4, 2011.
- Dr. John J. Wheeler, dean of the College of Education and Human Development and professor of special education and literacy studies, effective Dec. 31, 2011.
The promoted staff member is:
- Dr. Stacey R. Fitzsimmons, to assistant professor of management, effective Aug. 22, 2011.
The changes in department affiliation are:
- Dr. Mariam K. Deme, assistant professor, from Africana studies to gender and women's studies, effective 2012 spring semester.
- Dr. Elaine L. Phillips, professor, from family and consumer sciences to physician assistant and holistic health, effective Dec. 26, 2011.