The College of Arts and Sciences at Western Michigan University values its faculty, students and staff. The college regularly honors and awards faculty and staff contributions, as well as student academic excellence and potential.
College awards and scholarships are offered according to the dates published as long as funds are available. All awards are subject to final budgetary approval and authorization by the dean of the college. All award application deadlines are final, unless extensions have been approved by the dean's office, or provided in the information below. Applicants will be notified within four weeks of the deadlines as to the status of their application. Please contact the College of Arts and Sciences dean's office with any questions or concerns.
Submit all applications as a single PDF file to firstname.lastname@example.org with the award title and applicant name in the subject line of the email. If necessary, recommendations may be submitted separately, but must include the name of the award and applicant name in the subject line of the email. Emails from WMU accounts may serve in place of signatures.
Student award programs and deadlines
Oct. 15—for spring disbursement
Feb. 15—for fall disbursement
- Diversity and Inclusion Student Writing Prize (awarded in spring only)
- Undergraduate Research and Creative Activities Award
- Undergraduate Travel Award
Faculty awards and deadlines
Please review best practices for nominations
- College Discovery and Dissemination Award—Oct. 1 and Feb. 1
- Diversity and Inclusion Faculty Recognition Award—Feb. 1
- Faculty Achievement Awards—Feb. 1
- Gender Scholar Award—Dec. 1
- Interdisciplinary Research Initiative Award–March 31
Part-time instructor awards and deadlines
- Staff Excellence Award—Feb. 1
- Staff Professional Development Award—Oct. 1 and Feb. 1
- Diversity and Inclusion Staff Recognition Award—Feb. 1
College of Arts and Sciences Office of the Dean:
Submit application as a single PDF, putting the title of the award and applicant name in the subject line of the email. Emails from WMU accounts may serve in place of signatures.
Please do not hesitate to contact the College of Arts and Sciences dean's office with any questions or concerns.