The Western Michigan University College of Arts and Sciences Discovery and Dissemination Award was conceived to:
- Awards of up to $1,000 may be requested for the purpose of developing new or carrying out continuing research and creative activities, or for the purpose of developing and/or testing teaching innovations
- Funds may be used for purchase of materials and supplies, student stipends, participant compensation, travel related to carrying out the proposed activity, or other expenses related to carrying out the research, creative activity, or teaching innovation
- Funds may not be used for faculty salary
Awards up to $1000 for the purpose of disseminating research and creative activities at conferences, exhibits or other professional venues
- Travel funds may be used for conference fees, airfare, housing, meals and other travel-related expenses
- Priority will be given to the development of new projects over continuation of current projects; requests for conference travel support will be deemed lower priority
- Preference will be given to quality proposals that have identified additional funding sources and that demonstrate consistency with the objectives and values of the College of Arts and Sciences Strategic Plan
- The amount per award and total number of awards will depend on the number and type of proposals submitted and the availability of funds
Funds are not meant:
- For routine computer upgrading or the purchase of routine classroom equipment
- To support normal faculty work in updating and revising courses and curricula
- To supplant support from the department, the University's Faculty Research Travel Fund, or the University’s Publication of Papers and Exhibition of Creative Works Fund
All awards are subject to final budgetary approval and authorization by the College of Arts and Sciences dean’s office.
Feb. 15 and Oct. 1
- Travel award applications may be submitted pending acceptance of the research or creative presentation; however, funds for travel will be disbursed after confirmation of the presentation’s acceptance is received
- Applicants will be notified of the results within six weeks of the application deadline date
- No late applications will be considered
- This award will be offered as long as funds are available
- Faculty of any rank and department chairs with a tenure home in the College of Arts and Sciences may apply for this award.
- Faculty are eligible for one award per 12-month period. Priority for funding will go to tenure-track faculty, and to faculty of any rank who have not received an award in the previous 24 months
- Funds must be used in accordance with University procedures and in accordance with the submitted budget. Funding will be disbursed to a departmental fund and cost center.
- All recipients must submit a one- to two-page final report that includes a summary of what was accomplished during the grant period and a description of what, if any, external grants, publications, presentations or other scholarly/creative works resulted. Reports for fall awards are due by May 1; reports for spring awards are due by December 1. Failure to submit a report will make a recipient ineligible for future awards.
Submit the following materials by the deadline. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Completed and signed application form
- The research or creative activity proposal prepared according to the guidelines provided on the application form
- A detailed budget, prepared according to the application form
- (Travel awards only) Copy of the faculty member’s acceptance of the proposed project at a conference, exhibit or other professional venue
College of Arts and Sciences Office of the Dean:
Submit application as a single PDF, putting the title of the award (College Discovery and Dissemination Award) and applicant name in the subject line of the email. Emails from WMU accounts may serve in place of signatures.
Only online submissions will be accepted.
Please do not hesitate to contact the College of Arts and Sciences dean’s office with any questions or concerns.
See full list of awards given by the College of Arts and Sciences.