The Undergraduate Research and Creative Activities Award in the College of Arts and Sciences at Western Michigan University:
- Increases the opportunities for undergraduates to collaborate with faculty members in professional activities outside the classroom
- Provides undergraduate students with opportunities for hands-on research or creative activities experience with faculty from the College
- Recognizes and honors academic excellence and potential
The joint student-faculty projects represent the diversity of scholarly activity in the College. Projects from students and faculty in any discipline within the College are welcome.
- Awards may request up to $750 to defray the cost of carrying out a research, scholarly or creative activity project
- Funds may be used for materials and supplies, student stipend, travel to conduct the research or creative activity or other expenses related to carrying out the project
- These funds may be used in conjunction with other internal WMU student awards
- Recipients may request a renewal for one additional term after providing a progress report for their project
- The number of qualified applicants, types of awards requested, and the availability of funds will determine how many awards are made
- Funds for this award will be disbursed to a departmental account under the supervision of the student’s faculty mentor
All awards are subject to final budgetary approval and authorization by the College of Arts and Sciences dean's office.
Oct. 15–for research and creative activities in the spring semester.
Feb. 15–for research and creative activities in summer I, summer II and fall semesters.
- Applicants will be notified of the results within six weeks of the application deadline date
- No late applications will be considered
- This award will be offered as long as funds are available
To be eligible for this award, the student must:
- Have a declared major or minor in a department or program within the College of Arts and Sciences
- Have completed or be enrolled in at least nine credit hours at WMU
- Be enrolled during the semester (fall, spring, summer I and/or summer II) for which they are requesting funds
- Be in good academic standing
- Identify a faculty mentor who will supervise the student’s research or creative activities
Submit the following materials by the deadline. Incomplete or late applications will not be considered.
- Completed and signed Student Application Form
- Up-to-date unofficial WMU transcripts
- The research or creative activity proposal prepared according to the guidelines provided on the application form
- A detailed budget, prepared according to the application form
- Completed and signed Faculty Recommendation Form
- A copy of the human subjects, animal care or other compliance approval (if needed)
College of Arts and Sciences Office of the Dean:
Submit application as a single PDF putting the title of the award (Undergraduate Research and Creative Activity Award) and applicant name in the subject line of the email. Faculty recommendation forms may be submitted separately, but should contain title of award and applicant's name in the subject line of the email. Emails from WMU accounts may serve in place of signatures.
Only online submissions accepted.
Please do not hesitate to contact the College of Arts and Sciences dean’s office with any questions or concerns.
See full list of awards given by the College of Arts and Sciences.