The Undergraduate Travel Award in the College of Arts and Sciences at Western Michigan University was established to support students traveling to meetings, conferences, exhibitions or other events sponsored by professional organization for the purpose of presenting the results of their research, creative or scholarly work. These grants do not cover conference attendance for other purposes (e.g., as a non-presenting attendee or workshop attendee, to undertake study abroad, or to present the finding of another person’s scholarly work).
Travel proposals from students and faculty in any discipline within the College are welcome.
- Awards may request up to $250 for domestic travel and $500 for international travel to support dissemination of the student’s scholarly work at a conference, exhibition or venue sponsored by a professional organization
- Funding may be applied toward conference registration fees, transportation (ground or airfare), lodging, meals and other miscellaneous expenses related to travel
- The student must be the first/presenting author of the work
- Applications must be submitted a minimum of six weeks before travel takes place; however, funds will be disbursed after confirmation of acceptance of the student’s work at the meeting is received
- Travel funds may be used in conjunction with other WMU awards
- The number of qualified applicants, types of awards requested and the availability of funds will determine how many awards are made
- Funds for this award will be disbursed to a departmental account under the supervision of the student’s faculty mentor
All awards are subject to final budgetary approval and authorization by the College of Arts and Sciences dean's office.
Applications are accepted at any time.
- Travel awards must be submitted a minimum of six weeks before travel is to take place; however, funds for travel will be disbursed after confirmation of the presentation’s acceptance is received
- Applicants will be notified of the results within two weeks of submitting an application
- This award will be offered as long as funds are available
To be eligible for this award, the student must:
- Have a declared major or minor in a department or program within the College of Arts and Sciences
- Be enrolled during the semester (fall, spring, summer I, and/or summer II) for which they are requesting funds
- Have completed or be enrolled in at least nine credit hours at WMU
- Be in good academic standing
- Identify a faculty mentor who will support the student’s application
Submit the following materials by the deadline. Incomplete or late applications will not be considered.
- Completed and signed Student Travel Application Form
- The proposal prepared according to the guidelines provided on the application form
- A detailed budget, prepared according to the application form
- Completed and signed Faculty Recommendation Form
College of Arts and Sciences Office of the Dean:
Submit application as a single PDF, putting the title of the award (Undergraduate Travel Award) and applicant name in the subject line of the email. Emails from WMU accounts may serve in place of signatures.
Only online submissions accepted.
Please do not hesitate to contact the College of Arts and Sciences dean’s office with any questions or concerns.
See full list of awards given by the College of Arts and Sciences.