2021 Online Chinese Speech Competition at Western Michigan University
The Haenicke Institute for Global Education is pleased to announce that the 5th Chinese Speech Competition at Western Michigan University. The competition provides a stage for Chinese language learners to demonstrate their achievements in learning Chinese and communicate with each other.
This year's competition includes Chinese Speech Contest and Chinese Knowledge Competition. The Speech Contest is at 9 a.m. on May 1st, 2021 and the Chinese Knowledge Competition is on May 8th, 2021.
Levels of competition:
The competition will be divided into 6 levels to ensure equality. The rudiments and rules we will use for dividing the participants are as follows:
- Students who are 6th grade and above and are learning Chinese at the Kalamazoo Chinese Academy, Northern Hills Middle School, and Greenville Middle School will be assigned to middle school level.
- Non-native and non-heritage high school students who have been learning Chinese for one year or less will be assigned to high school level 1.
- Non-native and non-heritage high school students who have been learning Chinese for less than two years will be assigned to high school level 2.
- Students who are in 9th and 10th grade at Forest Hill Northern High School and Holland Christian High School will be assigned to high school level 3.
- Students who are in 11th and 12th grade at Forest Hill Northern High School will be assigned to high school level 4.
- Students who have been learning Chinese on main campus of Western Michigan University will be assigned to University level.
Form of competition: There are two categories: Speech Contest and Chinese Knowledge Competition (There is only Speech Contest at University level). Contestants can participate in a single part of the competition, however, all are encouraged to take part in both categories. Details as follows：
|High school level 1||Prepared Speech：大家好||1-1.5 minutes|
|Impromptu Questions: 即兴问答||1 minute|
|High school level 2||Prepared Speech：我最喜欢的季节||1.5-2 minutes|
|Impromptu Questions (即兴问答)||1 minute|
|Middle school level||Prepared Speech：打开汉语这扇门||2-4 minutes|
|Impromptu Speech (即兴演讲)||1 minute|
|High school level 3 & 4
|Prepared Speech：打开汉语这扇门||3-5 minutes|
|Impromptu Speech 即兴演讲||1 minute|
Score composition: Prepared Speech (70%) + Impromptu Speech (30%)
Chinese Knowledge Competition (compete as a group) on May 8th. The competition will be conducted on Kahoot. Teams of two will compete for two rounds answering questions about Chinese language and culture.
Score composition: The total score of both team members in both rounds will be counted as the final score of the team.