Career advising services
Staff in Western Michigan University's Zhang Career Center assist students and recent alumni through the career development process. Career advising is available to all undergraduate and graduate business students, as well as recent alumni who are launching their first professional job.
All alumni (regardless of graduation date) are welcome to use our online services, including BroncoJOBS powered by Handshake, to apply for job postings. Alumni may also attend our career fairs and download our career development guides.
Students and alumni can receive career advising during:
- Drop-in hours* (20-minutes, first-come, first-served appointments): Monday and Wednesday, 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- A pre-scheduled appointment (30 or 50-minutes) with a career development specialist
*Note: Due to the decrease in student traffic, there are no drop-in hours during summer II. A career advising appointment can be scheduled by visiting the Zhang Career Center (3020 Schneider Hall) or by calling the front desk at (269) 387-2711.
Career development and preparation assistance
Career development and preparation can be defined in three categories: self-assessment and exploration, networking and the internship or job search process.
Self-assessment and exploration
- Assessing your personality, interests, skills, and values through career assessments
- Selecting a business major and career pathway
Internship and job search process
- Resumes and cover letters
- References and recommendations
- Internship or job search and negotiation techniques
- Employment and salary data
- WMU Career Development Guide
- Career resources for veterans
- Career resources for international students
Career development specialists are also prepared to discuss the many career programs available to business students. By attending career programs business students are able to explore different majors and careers and network to find an internship or job.
Like us on Facebook for career tips and program announcements.