Students and Alumni
The Zhang Career Center in Western Michigan University's Haworth College of Business offers students a single location where they can access career development advising, career readiness events and career fair information. By using the career center services, you will learn about everything from picking the major that matches your interests with your intended career field, to becoming more confident in showcasing your professional skills, to identifying skill gaps you need to address before graduation. Get started on your professional path by reviewing the information below.
Career advising services
Career advising is available to all undergraduate and graduate business students, as well as recent alumni who are entering into their first professional position after graduation. Staff in the career center will help you in your career development, assisting you with planning and answering questions.
You will find job postings on Handshake. Here is what you need to know:
- Activate and complete your profile at wmich.joinhandshake.com so employers can see you.
- Questions? Visit our Handshake Frequently Asked Questions page, or call us at (269) 387-2711.
Important: If you must cancel an interview or attendance at a career program, call the Zhang Career Center at (269) 387-2711 as far in advance as possible. The same goes for if you are running late. Please notify the office to share your expected time of arrival. Typically, cancellation with less than two business days’ notice is unprofessional and may have consequences. For our full no-show policy and professional guidelines, please refer to the links below.
Visit the WMU Career Development Guide for information on everything from personal branding to crafting a resume and resources for many student populations.
WIRED - Western Industry Research and Exploration Discussions
WIRED is a virtual, experiential learning opportunity offered by the Zhang Career Center for First-Year Students. This program will help you implement advanced decision-making skills when it is time to choose a major and understand how it connects to related fields.
- Professional Development Workshop
- Foundational Level SPuRs (Professional Insight)
- Connect with Employers
- Insights into career pathways in various industries
Professional Development Workshop (you must attend a workshop prior to attending a WIRED event)
- Friday, October 1st, 3:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Monday, October 4th 11:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
- Tuesday, October12th, 1:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m.
- Tuesday, October 26th, 4:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, November 3rd, 2:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m.
- Tuesday, November 9th, 4:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Workshop registration: https://wmich.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_6KC2ZFFLVlzlN6C
Please email email@example.com if you are unable to attend any of these workshops
WIRED Event dates:
- Friday, October 15th
- Friday, October 29th
- Friday, November 5th
- Friday, November 12th
- Friday, November 19th
- Event Registration: https://linktr.ee/zhangcareercenter
The Zhang Career Center offers video resources that address key topics related to career readiness. Topics include virtual career fair preparation, resume building, the art of negotiation and more. A number of videos align with foundational-level Student Professional Readiness Series credit.