master OF arts
- Complete and return a questionnaire prepared by the department.
- Interviews, letters of recommendation, test scores, and other materials may also be required.
- GPA, educational background, counseling and/or related experiences, as well as other factors.
"My studies gave me exposure to real- world research, which has made me much more confident in seeking a career in this field."Breezy Gibson, Alumni
This program is offered in-person.
Western Michigan University's Master of Arts in Counseling Psychology provides, beyond the departmental required core course work, a focus on psychopathology, psychological assessment, counseling and psychotherapy theories and practices and practicum experiences. The program emphasizes and prepares students to offer services in a variety of mental health settings and is designed for students seeking limited licensure as a psychologist in the State of Michigan.
Offered by WMU's Department of Counselor Education and Counseling Psychology, the counseling psychology program is designed to meet department requirements for certification of psychology education. Graduates are eligible for state of Michigan license as limited license psychologists.
Why counseling psychology at Western Michigan University?
- Courses are offered at both the WMU Grand Rapids and the WMU Kalamazoo locations for our students' convenience.
- 95% of WMU counseling psychology graduate students were employed or continuing education within three months of graduation.
- Students are encouraged to pursue additional educational opportunities through one of our many excellent study abroad programs.
- Customize your degree with an optional WMU Signature Designation.
WMU's master of arts counseling psychology program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of American Psychological Association.
Cost & Funding
- Tuition and fees
- Cost of attendance
- Employer-paid tuition
- Military and veterans
- College of Education and Human Development
- International Admissions and Services
- Graduate College
- Office of Military and Veterans Affairs
- Visit Campus