The Center for English Language and Culture for International Students (CELCIS) both traditional (in-person) and online English as a Second Language (ESL) courses 45 weeks of the calendar year in two semesters (Fall, Spring) and two sessions (Summer I, Summer II). In-person instruction is available for all proficiency levels, while online instruction is available for students with a higher level of language proficiency.
About ESL online
Courses are delivered over the internet and require no face-to-face meetings. All instruction and interactions occur online within a course management system. Students can enroll from anywhere in the world.
CELCIS online courses are mostly asynchronous, or made up of prebuilt course components, allowing students to complete them at the time and pace of their choosing. Instructors may coordinate opportunities to meet with students in real-time on occasion to enhance the learning experience.
Benefits of studying online
- Study from anywhere. Distance education allows you to participate in our high-quality CELCIS courses from anywhere in the world.
- Make progress without delay. Completing the CELCIS Advanced level satisfies WMU’s language requirements for admission; CELCIS graduates do not need to submit TOEFL or IELTS scores for admission to most programs.
- Be prepared. The CELCIS Curriculum teaches you valuable skills (presentation, research, etc.) to help you succeed in the university or in your career
- Enjoy a variety of online co-curricular activities. CELCIS provides academic support and opportunities for social interaction.
|Semester||Start Date||End Date||Application Deadline|
|Fall 2020||September 2||December 11||August 15|
|Spring 2021||January 11||April 23||December 15|
|Summer I 2021||May 10||June 30||April 15|
|Summer II 2021||July 1||August 14||June 15|
- Copy of passport identification page
- Copy of high school or university transcripts (in English)
- $100 non-refundable application fee
- Proof of previous English instruction. Acceptable forms of documentation include:
Grade transcripts showing at least one semester of English language study
English program certificate
Verfication of enrollment letter from a school official
Official test scores from the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL): 42 iBT, 437 PBT and above OR
Official test scores from the International English Testing System (IELTS): 4.5 and above
- Contact CELCIS to take the online diagnostic test
- Complete your online application
Online Diagnostic Test
CELCIS provides a free online diagnostic test. Based on your test score, CELCIS will determine your current English language skill level and will recommend the level that is right for you.
|2020-21 Semester Costs for Full-time Online Study|
|Course Tuition||$5865 ($1466.25 per course)|