Western Michigan University
4601 Campus Drive
Kalamazoo MI 49008-5462 USA
- PhD (2015) in Paper Science & Engineering, NC State University.
- PhD (2000) in Applied Chemistry & Chemical Engineering, Rajshahi University.
Abdus Salam received his PhD in Paper Science and Engineering from the Department of Forest Biomaterials at North Carolina State University in 2015 where his thesis title was the Synthesis, Characterization, and Application of Polysaccharides-Based Additives to Increase the Dry Strength of Paper. Prior to joining WMU, he served in paper and paper chemical research and development division at Georgia Pacific-Koch Brothers from 2015 to 2019. He also served as the post-doctoral research fellow, visiting scientist and research assistant professor at North Carolina State University and University of Nebraska-Lincoln from 2004-2011 and 2015. Prior to joining UNL, he was also served as a technical director in textile and paper chemical industry in Bangladesh. A large part of his research work has been focused on the air and wet laid paper, paper coating additives, paper strength additives, kraft pulping and bleaching, and wet end chemistry-papermaking, surface modification, chemical crosslinking, and free radical polymerization of forest biomaterials, biomass derivatives, biofuell, cellulose nanocrystals, natural and synthetic binder, pigment and dyestuffs. He has published 30 research articles, one book chapter, six patents, and provided several oral presentations at technical conferences. His research has been internationally recognized by the Valmet Tissue Technology Award 2015 at the Tissue World Conference, Barcelona, Spain. The innovation space was modified hard wood for tissue applications to make sustainable, environment friendly, and antimicrobial tissue and paper towel for hygienic personal health care applications.
Dr. Salam’s research areas include paper strength additives, paper coating additives, pulping and bleaching, paper recycling, wet end chemistry-papermaking, air and wet laid paper processing, cabohydrate based natural binder, biomass derivatives, bio-chemical from biomass, cellulose nanomaterials.
SELECTED RECENT PUBLICATIONS
- Abdus Salam, Lucian A. Lucia, Hasan Jameel. Starch Derivatives that Contribute Significantly to Recycled Fiber-Fiber Bonding and Antibacterial Character. ACS Omega, 2018, 3 (5), pp 5260–5265.
- Abdus Salam, Lucian A. Lucia, Hasan Jameel. Chitosan-Based Reagents Endow Recycled Paper Fibers with Remarkable Physical and Antimicrobial Properties. Ind. Eng. Chem. Res. 2016, 55 (27), pp 7282–7286.
- Abdus Salam, Lucian A. Lucia, Hasan Jameel. A New Class of Bio-based Paper Dry Strength Agents: Synthesis and Characterization of Soy-based Polymers. ACS Sustainable Chem. Eng. 2015, 3 (3), 524 – 532.
- Abdus Salam, Lucian A. Lucia, Hasan Jameel. A Preliminary Assay of the Potential of Soy Protein Isolate and Its Hydrolysates to Provide Inter-Fiber Bonding Enhancements in Lignocellulosic Furnishes. React. and Funct. Polym. 2014, 85, 228 – 234.
- Abdus Salam, Lucian A. Lucia, Hasan Jameel. Fluorine-Based Surface Decorated Cellulose Nanocrystals. Cellulose, 2014, DOI 10.1007/s10570-014-0507-9.
- Abdus Salam, Lucian A. Lucia, Hasan Jameel. A Novel Cellulose Nanocrystals-Based Approach to Improve the Mechanical Properties of Recycled Paper Stock. ACS Sustainable Chem. Eng. 2013, 1 (12), 1584 – 1592.
- Abdus Salam, Lucian A. Lucia, Hasan Jameel. Synthesis. Characterization and Evaluation of Chitosan-Crosslinked Starch Nanoparticles on the Physical Properties of Recycled Paper Furnish. ACS Appl. Mater. Inter. 2013, 5 (21), 11029 – 11037.
- Abdus Salam, Joel J. Pawlak, Richard A. Venditti, Khaled El-tahlawy. Crosslinked hemicellulose citrate-chitosan aerogel foams. Carbohyd. Polym. 2011, 84, 1221 – 1229.
- Abdus Salam, Joel J. Pawlak, Richard A. Venditti, Khaled El-tahlawy. Synthesis and Characterization of Starch Citrate−Chitosan Foam with Superior Water and Saline Absorbance Properties. Biomacromol. 2010, 11 (6), 1453 – 1459.
- Abdus Salam, Joel J. Pawlak, Richard A. Venditti, Khaled El-tahlawy, Incorporation of carboxyl group into hemicelluloses for improved absorbency. Cellulose 2011, 18, 1033 – 1041.
- Ali Ayoub, Richard A. Venditti, Joel J. Pawlak, Abdus Salam, and Martin A. Hubbe. Novel Hemicellulose–Chitosan Biosorbent for Water Desalination and Heavy Metal Removal. ACS Sustainable Chem. Eng., 2013, 1 (9), 1102 – 1109.
- Ali Ayoub, Joel J. Pawlak, Richard A. Venditti, Hasan Sadeghifar, Abdus Salam. Development of an acetylation reaction of switch grass hemicellulose in ionic liquid without catalyst. Industrial Crops and Product, 2013, 44, 306 – 314
- Abdus Salam, Narendra Reddy, and Yiqi Yang. Bleaching of Kenaf and Cornhusk Fibers. Ind. Eng. Chem. Res. 2007, 46 (5), 1452 – 1458.
- Narendra Reddy, Abdus Salam and Yiqi Yang. Effect of Lignin on the Heat and Light Resistance of Lignocellulosic Fibers. Macromolecular Materials and Engineering. 292(4), 458466, 2007.
- Narendra Reddy, Abdus Salam and Yiqi Yang. Effect of Structures and Concentrations of Softeners on the Performance Properties and Durability to Laundering of Cotton Fabrics. Ind. Eng. Chem. Res.. 47(8), 2502-2510 (2008).
- M. A. Salam. Effect of Hydrogen peroxide bleaching onto sulphonated jute fiber. Journal of Applied polymer science. Vol. 99, Issue 6, P 3603-3607, 2006.
- M. A. Salam, R. K. Sheik and F. I. Farouique. Effect of salts on dyeing into jute fiber with reactive, direct, basic and mordant dyes.Journal of Textile and Apparel, Technology and Management. 6, 2009.
- M. A. Salam. Graft Copolymerization of Acrylate Monomers onto Sulfonated Jute-Cotton Blended Fabric Using KMnO4/H2SO4. Journal of American Association of Textile Chemist and Colorist Review, 2005, 5(12), 44-48.
- M. A. Salam. Graft Copolymerization of Methylacrylonitrile Monomer onto Sulfonated Jute-Cotton Blended Fabric. Journal of Textile and Apparel, Technology and Management, Volume. 4, Issue 4, 2005.
- M.A. Salam, F.I. Farouqui and D.A. Begum. Optimization of bleaching conditions on to jute fibre with NaClO2. Journal of Bangladesh Academy of Science, Vol. 25, No. 2, 187-192, 2001.
Salam,H. Jameel, Y. Liu, L.A. Lucia. Novel Class of Soy Flour Biobased Functional Additives for Dry Strength Enhancements in Recovered and Virgin Pulp Fiber Networks. ACS Symposium Series, Vol. 1178.
Selected Recent Patents
· Abdus Salam, Lucian A. Lucia and Hasan Jameel.Paper Strength Agents and Methods for Improving Pulp Products, U.S. Patent No. 9428865 B2,
· Richard A. Venditti, Joel J. Pawlak, Abdus Salam, and Khaled El-tahlawy. Modified Carbohydrate-Chitosan Compounds, Methods of Making the Same and Methods of Using the Same. U. S. Patent No. 8975387B1 (Licensed).
· Abdus Salam, Timothy Kistemaker, Kirk Stallsmith, Mark LeMere. Modified Cellulose Based Natural Binder for Nonwoven Fabric. International Patent (application) No. WO2019152638.
· Abdus Salam, Timothy Kistemaker, Karen Marsh. Blended Chitosan-latex Binder for High Performance Nonwoven Fabric. International Patent (application) No. WO2017156389.