Western Michigan University
1903 W Michigan Ave
Kalamazoo MI 49008-5462 USA
- Ph.D., Biological Systems Engineering, University of Wisconsin-Madison, 2013
- • Ph.D., Polymer Chemistry & Physics, Zhejiang University, 2007
Dr. Qiang Yang joined Western Michigan University in June 2017 as Assistant Professor in the Department of Chemical and Paper Engineering. Prior to joining WMU, he was a Scientist in the Department of Biological Systems Engineering at University of Wisconsin-Madison.
Dr. Yang’s research interest spans the areas of green chemicals, renewable energy, sustainable materials, and nanomaterials from renewable resources. The aspirational goal of his research efforts is to adopt biological and chemical approaches to produce platform chemicals, liquid fuels, biogas, biopolymers, and nanomaterials from biomass.
Selected publications (http://scholar.google.com/citations?user=Pq8NjqcAAAAJ&hl=en):
- Q. Yang, H. Wang, R. Larson, T. Runge. Comparative study of chemical pretreatments of dairy manure for enhanced biomethane production. BioResources, 2017, 12, 7363-7375.
- Q. Yang, T. Runge. Polyethylenimines as homogeneous and heterogeneous catalysts for glucose isomerization. ACS Sustainable Chemistry & Engineering, 2016, 4, 6951-6961.
- Q. Yang, X. J. Pan. Bifunctional porous polymers bearing boronic and sulfonic acids for hydrolysis of cellulose. ACS Sustainable Chemistry & Engineering, 2016, 4, 4824-4830.
- Q. Yang, W. Lan, T. Runge. Salt-promoted glucose aqueous isomerization catalyzed by heterogeneous organic base. ACS Sustainable Chemistry & Engineering, 2016, 4, 4850-4858.
- Q. Yang, T. Runge. Amino acids as green catalysts for glucose isomerization in water. ACS Sustainable Chemistry & Engineering, 2016, 4, 3526-3534.
- Q. Yang, X. J. Pan. Correlation between lignin physicochemical properties and inhibition to enzymatic hydrolysis of cellulose. Biotechnology and Bioengineering, 2016, 113, 1213-1224.
- Q. Yang, X. J. Pan. Synthesis and application of bifunctional porous polymers bearing chloride and sulfonic acid as cellulase-mimetic solid acids for cellulose hydrolysis. BioEnergy Research, 2016, 9, 578-586.
- Q. Yang, S. F. Zhou, T. Runge. Dairy manure as a potential feedstock for cost-effective cellulosic bioethanol. BioResources, 2016, 11, 1240-1254.
- Q. Yang, S. F. Zhou, T. Runge. Magnetically separable base catalysts for isomerization of glucose to fructose. Journal of Catalysis, 2015, 330, 474-484.
- S. F. Zhou, Q. Yang, T. Runge. Ambient-temperature sulfuric acid pretreatment to alter physical properties and improve enzymatic digestibility of alfalfa stems. Industrial Crops and Products, 2015, 70, 410-416.
- D. S. Zhang, Q. Yang, J. Y. Zhu, X. J. Pan. Sulfite (SPORL) pretreatment of switchgrass for enzymatic saccharification. Bioresource Technology, 2013, 129, 127-134.
- Q. Yang, X. J. Pan, K. Clarke, K. C. Li. Covalent functionalization of graphene with polysaccharides. Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, 2012, 51, 310-317.
- Z. Q. Li, Q. Yang, Z. H. Jiang, B. H. Fei, Z. Y. Cai, X. J. Pan. Comparative study of sulfite (SPORL), dilute acid and NaOH pretreatments of bamboo for enzymatic saccharification. Journal of Biobased Materials and Bioenergy, 2012, 6, 544-551.
- Q. Yang, X. J. Pan, F. Huang, K. C. Li. Synthesis and characterization of cellulose fibers grafted with hyperbranched poly(3-methyl-3-oxetanemethanol). Cellulose, 2011, 18, 1611-1621.
- Q. Yang, X. J. Pan, F. Huang, K. C. Li. Fabrication of high-concentration and stable aqueous suspensions of graphene nanosheets by noncovalent functionalization with natural polymers. Journal of Physical Chemistry Part C, 2010, 114, 3811-3816.
- Q. Yang, X. J. Pan. Preparation and characterization of water-soluble single wall carbon nanotubes by hybridization with hydroxypropyl cellulose derivatives. Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, 2010, 49, 2747-2751.
- L. Shuai, Q. Yang, J. Y. Zhu, F. C. Lu, P. J. Weimer, J. Ralph, X. J. Pan. Comparative study of SPORL and dilute acid pretreatments of spruce for cellulosic ethanol production. Bioresource Technology, 2010, 101, 3106-3114.
- Q. Yang, S. Li, X. J. Pan. Synthesis of fluorescent chitosan and its application in noncovalent functionalization of carbon nanotubes. Biomacromolecules, 2008, 9, 3422-3426.
- Q. Yang, S. Li, J. J. Zhou, F. C. Lu, X. J. Pan. Functionalization of multiwalled carbon nanotubes by pyrene-labeled hydroxypropyl cellulose. Journal of Physical Chemistry B, 2008, 112, 12934-12939.
- L. B. Deng, L. Wang, J. Huo, Q. H. Tan, Q. Yang, H.J. Yu, H. Q. Gao, J. F. Wang. Preparation of N,N'-Bisethoxyethane  amideferrocenophane and its application in anion recognition. Journal of Physical Chemistry B, 2008, 112, 5333-5337.
- Q. Yang, L. Wang, W.D. Xiang, J. F. Zhou, Q. H. Tan. Preparation of polymer-grafted carbon black nanoparticles by surface-initiated atom transfer radical polymerization. Journal of Polymer Science: Part A: Polymer Chemistry, 2007, 45, 3451-3459.
- Q. Yang, L. Wang, W. D. Xiang, J. F. Zhou, J. H. Li. Grafting polymers onto carbon black surface by trapping polymer radicals. Polymer, 2007, 48, 2866-2873.
- Q. Yang, L. Wang, W. D. Xiang, J. F. Zhou. A temperature-responsive carbon black nanoparticle prepared by surface-induced reversible addition-fragmentation chain transfer polymerization. Polymer, 2007, 48, 3444-3451.
- Q. Yang, L. Wang, W. D. Xiang, J. F. Zhou, L. B. Deng, Ji. H. Li. Preparation of core-shell carbon black nanoparticles and their crystallization-induced orientation. European Polymer Journal, 2007, 43, 1718-1723.
- Q. Yang, L. Wang, W. D. Xiang, J. F. Zhou, G. H. Jiang. Modification of carbon black through grafting multihydroxyl hyperbranched polyether onto its surface. Journal of Applied Polymer Science, 2007, 103, 2086-2092.
- J. F. Zhou, L. Wang, X. C. Dong, Q. Yang, J. J. Wang, H. J. Yu, X. Chen. Preparation of organic/inorganic hybrid nanomaterials using aggregates of poly(stearyl methacrylate)-b-poly(3-(trimethoxysily) propyl methacrylate) as precursor. European Polymer Journal, 2007, 43, 1736-1743.
- J. F. Zhou, L. Wang, X. C. Dong, T. Chen, Q. Yang, Q. H. Tan, J. J. Wang. Study on synthesis of two-armed polymers containing a crown ether core and their self-assembly behaviors in selective solvents. European Polymer Journal, 2007, 43, 2088-2095.
- J. F. Zhou, L. Wang, Q. Yang, X. C. Dong, H. J. Yu. Synthesis and self- assembly of comb-like amphiphilic copolymer poly(maleic anhydride-alt-stearyl methacrylate)-b-poly(stearyl methacrylate). Colloid and Polymer Science, 2007, 285, 1369-1376.
- J. Huo, L. Wang, H. J. Yu, L. B. Deng, J. F. Zhou, Q. Yang. Synthesis and electrochemical behavior of linear oligo (ferrocenylsilane) and hyperbranched poly(ferrocenylsilane). Journal of Polymer Science: Part B: Polymer Physics, 2007, 2880-2889.
- J. F. Zhou, L. Wang, Q. Yang, Q. Q. Liu, H. Y. Yu, Z. R. Zhao. Novel thermoreponsive and pH-responsive aggregates from self-assembly of triblock copolymer PSMA-b-PNIPAAm-b-PSMA. Journal of Physical Chemistry B, 2007, 111, 5573-5580.
- C. Chen, L. Wang, G. H. Jiang, Q. Yang, J. J. Wang, H. J. Yu, T. Chen. The influence of seeding conditions and shielding gas atmosphere on the synthesis of silver nanowires through the polyol process. Nanotechnology, 2006, 17, 466-474.
- C. Chen, L. Wang, G. H. Jiang, J. F. Zhou, X. Chen, H.J. Yu, Q. Yang. Study on the synthesis of silver nanowires with adjustable diameters through the polyol process. Nanotechnology, 2006, 17, 3933-3938.
- W. Wang, L. Wang, X. Chen, Q. Yang, T. X. Sun, J. F. Zhou. Study on the graft reaction of poly(propylene) fiber with acrylic acid. Macromolecular Materials and Engineering, 2006, 291, 173-180.
- J. F. Zhou, L. Wang, X. C. Dong, T. Chen, Q. Yang, C. Chen, X. Chen. Preparation of organic/inorganic hybrid nanoballs using aggregates of PTMSPMA-b-PSMA-Fc-PSMA-b-PTMSPMA block copolymers as precursors. Nanotechnology, 2006, 17, 2745-2751.
- G. H. Jiang, L. Wang, C. Chen, X. C. Dong, T. Chen, Q. Yang. Macroscopic self-assembly of hyperbranched polyesters. Polymer, 2006, 47, 12-17.