WMU Children’s Place Learning Center, conveniently located in the middle of Western Michigan University’s campus, is an attractive child care option for children of WMU students, faculty and staff as well as the Kalamazoo community. Children 18 months to 12 years will experience child initiated learning within a culturally diverse community. The program supports your child’s growth in all areas of development—social, physical and academic. WMU Children’s Place is an NAEYC accredited center. The center partners with the WMU College of Education and Human Development to provide a high quality educational experience.
The mission of the Children’s Place Learning Center is to create a safe, nurturing environment through the respect of the individual, intentional activities to promote the developmental growth of children and WMU students and support a culturally diverse community of learners.
- Respected and accepted.
- Teachers foster respect for the materials and environment while developing a child’s sense of curiosity and experimentation.
- Children embrace learning though a child-initiated and play-based curriculum.
- Play-based curriculum focuses on the emerging skills of each child.
- Bridge the gap between home and school to meet the unique needs of the children and families.
- Children, families and teachers share stories, building connections between families and the center.