WMU Children's Place is available to children ages 15 months through 12 years old.
Children's Place can have no more than 38 children at any given point in the day. State licensing also has different square-footage and staffing ratio requirements for separate age categories. The maximum number of toddlers is restricted to nine at any given point, preschool capacity is 15 and pre-kindergarten/school age capacity is 13 at any given point throughout the day.
Enrollment priority dates for current and returning children are as follows:
- Fall semester—April 25
- Spring semester—Nov. 25
- Summer I session—March 25
- Summer II session—March 25
Priority enrollment factors considered, in addition to the deadline enrollment dates and actual hours available, are:
- Returning children
- Siblings of currently enrolled children
- WMU student parents, Great Start to Readiness program eligible or military-connected families
- WMU faculty and staff parents
- Community parents
Enrollment is restricted to the maximum licensing capacity for each age group and the hourly demand for child care, with priority determined by the date of application.
- Submitting an enrollment application places your name on our waiting list. The majority of families enrolled at the center are WMU students, and currently enrolled families receive priority scheduling each semester. We enroll from our waiting list after the priority enrollment dates listed above.
- Once you are notified of available space within the center for your child(ren), and signed your Child Care Agreement, you will receive an enrollment packet containing our Parent Handbook, and the required enrollment forms. At this point, we will apply the annual enrollment fee to your account. The enrollment fee is $45 for one child or $75 per family.
- All completed forms and paperwork must be on record at the center no later than your child's first day of attendance. Licensing rules dictate that children cannot attend the center without the appropriate paperwork on file. We must have your child's immunization record and complete physical on his or her first day of attendance. If you are awaiting a scheduled physical examination for your child, the manager can grant an extension up to the actual date of the scheduled physical only. We must have the immunization record and appointment date for the extension to be granted. Please contact the director if you are in need of an extension.