Our mission is to help people live life fully.
Our vision is to make it possible for all people to become valued members of society.
Our values are that of community inclusion:
- All people have gifts and abilities.
- All people need friendships and relationships.
- Every person has a voice and a right to be heard.
- Our community can benefit from embracing diversity.
Committed to the philosophy of community inclusion
As part of the College of Health and Human Services at Western Michigan University, our emphasis is on improving the health of the whole person, be it physical, emotional or intellectual. In our commitment to a safe and healthy environment, we provide a high staff to participant ratio (one staff to three consumers).
A safe, supportive environment
WMU Center for Disability Services' Community Connections program helps people who need personal, physical and cognitive assistance by providing:
- A fun, stimulating environment to increase a person's chance of success.
- A connection to Western Michigan University (located on the Oakland Drive campus).
- A schedule of activities chosen by the person.
- A secure place for people to work toward increasing their independence.
- A sense of belonging in their community.
- A welcoming, caring environment.
- Benefits from the expertise of students, interns and faculty of various WMU departments along with access to WMU resources.
- Individuals with opportunities to be productive, contributing members of the community.
- Rich educational and clinical experiences for students in the allied health professions.
- Volunteer opportunities.
Caring and qualified staff
- Dedicated staff members provide ethical, quality services.
- Direct support professionals trained in supporting adults with disabilities.
- Student employees from WMU.
- Student volunteers from the Allied Health professions.
- Supervisors with over 20 years experience in the disability field.
- WMU student interns: nursing, occupational therapy, music therapy, integrated health and social work.
The Center for Disability Services Community Connections Program and WMU Senior Day Services are closed in observance of the following holidays:
- New Year's Day
- Martin Luther King Jr. Day
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day
- Labor Day, Monday
- Thanksgiving Day
- Day after Thanksgiving
- Christmas Day - WMU is closed the week between Christmas and New Years
Get started today
For more information about our program or to schedule a tour, please contact the coordinator at (269) 387-7414. A referral form will need to be completed to begin an intake process.