Assistance Animal Procedures

A student residing in University housing who requires an assistance or emotional support animal must be registered with Disability Services for Students. Students will need documentation on letterhead from a professional such as a counselor, psychologist, psychiatrist, or general care practitioner.

Documentation must state the following:

  • Diagnoses.
  • Length of time the student has been working with the professional.
  • Minimum of three months.
  • The symptoms that the assistance animal alleviates for the student

Once the Director of Disability Services for Students has received the necessary documents, the request for an assistance animal accommodation will be brought to the Disability Services for Students Assistance Animal Committee for consideration.

DSS will provide support of the request to Residence Life for processing. More information about animals on campus can be found in Western Michigan`s Animals on Campus Policy