Joint Instructional Advisory Committee

In the spirit of collaboration and shared governance, Provost Bott has convened a Joint Instructional Advisory Committee (JIAC) to help guide the transition process for Summer 2020 courses while ensuring mutual accountability and transparency.

As representatives of the colleges, the faculty champions will be members of the Committee in addition to representatives from the leadership of the WMU-AAUP, PIO, and TAU, and from the WMU Faculty Senate E-Board.

The JIAC will be raising and answering questions throughout this process. WMUx has been cataloguing and adding to the FAQ on the summer instructional page.

 

Committee Members

NameCollegeDepartmentEmail
Ed Martini, Chair   WMUx edwin.martini@wmich.edu
Irene Kivinen   TAU president@tauaft.org
Jasmine LaBine   PIO com@piowmu.org
Nancy Mansberger   Academic Collective Bargaining nancy.mansberger@wmich.edu
Bill Rantz   Faculty Senate Executive Board william.rantz@wmich.edu
Carol Weideman   AAUP carol.weideman@wmich.edu
Stephen Hasenick Aviation Aviation stephen.hasenick@wmich.edu
Cathryn Bailey CAS Gender and Women's Studies cathryn.bailey@wmich.edu
Linda Hanson CAS Chemistry linda.hanson@wmich.edu
Michael Ryan CAS Economics michael.ryan@wmich.edu
Gwen Tarbox CAS English gwen.tarbox@wmich.edu
Larry Mallak CEAS Indust & Entrep Eng & Eng Mgmt larry.mallak@wmich.edu
James Springstead CEAS Chemical and Paper Engineering james.springstead@wmich.edu
Kimberly Doudna CEHD Family and Consumer Sciences kimberly.doudna@wmich.edu
Brian Horvitz CEHD Ed Leadership, Research & Tech brian.horvitz@wmich.edu
Holly Grieves CHHS Occupational Therapy holly.grieves@wmich.edu
Lisa Singleterry CHHS Bronson School of Nursing lisa.singleterry@wmich.edu
David Code Fine Arts School of Music d.loberg.code@wmich.edu
Alan Rea HCOB Business Information Systems alan.rea@wmich.edu
Marcellis Zondag HCOB Marketing marcel.zondag@wmich.edu
Amy Bocko Libraries University Libraries amy.bocko@wmich.edu
Michael Duffy Libraries University Libraries michael.duffy@wmich.edu

 

Meeting Agenda & Minutes

  • Thursday, April 9, 2020

    Western Michigan University

    Joint Instructional Advisory Committee (JIAC) Meeting

    Thursday, April 9, 2020

     

    Proposed Agenda

    1. Process Question
    2. Agenda Overview and Additions
    3. Charge
    4. Brief Introductions
    5. Overview of Course Development Pathways for Summer I
    6. Pressing Instructional Questions in need of Recommendations
      1. Course Development Agreements and Stipends
      2. Virtual Classroom Function
      3. Synchronous vs. Asynchronous Discussions
      4. Browser Lockdown and Webcam Monitor Challenges
    7. Communication Plan
    8. Meeting Schedule and Next Steps

     

     

    Meeting Minutes

    Members present: Edwin Martini, Andrew Holmes, Linda Walker, Amy Routhier, Nancy Mansberger, William Rantz, Carol Weideman, Michael Ryan, Gwen Tarbox, Cathryn Bailey, Linda Hanson, James Springstead, Brian Horvitz, Kimberly Doudna, David Code, Marcellis Zogdag, Alan Rea, Lisa Singleterry, Holly Grieves, Amy Bocko, Michael Duffy, Lori Brown, Jasmine LaBine, Keenan Roberts, Larry Mallak, Toni Woolfork-Barnes, Marshall Commack, and Sheelah Walter-Reece

    Members absent:

    Advisory member absent:

     

    Dr. Ed Martini called the meeting to order at 3:03 p.m.

    Welcome, thanks to everybody for serving on the Joint Instructional Advisory Committee (JIAC)

     

    Information/Discussion Items

    Process Question

    • To provide agendas, minutes, ways to cover what we said we would cover, especially with situations we are in to share it out
    • We can adjust as we need to as we go, so I hope people will feel free to raise concerns, objections, and procedural matters

    Agenda Overview and Additions

    • Briefly discuss our "charge", the scope of our work so we can have a common understanding
    • Brief introductions
    • Provide an overview of the course development process
    • Raise with you all just a few of the initial issues
    • Talk about communications
    • How often we want to schedule meetings

    Charge

    • The idea is to create a structure that could serve as a conduit for information, for conversations, for questions, or concerns as we were moving into distance mode
    • We don’t necessarily have a formal "charge" but in terms of our overall goals and our why this group exists is to help raise those concerns, communicate those out, and be as transparent about what the challenges are, what some of those solutions

    Brief Introductions

    • Ed Martini, Linda Walker, Alan Rea, Amy Bocko, Amy Routhier, Andrew Holmes, Andrew Nieboer, Brian Horvitz, Chuck Pearson, Carol Bale, Carol Weideman, Cathryn Bailey, David Code, Gwen Tarbox, Holly Grieves, James Springstead, Jasmine LaBine, Keenan Roberts, Kimberly Doudna, Larry Mallak, Linda Hanson, Lisa Singleterry, Lori Brown, Marcel Zondag, Marshall Cammack, Michael Duffy, Michael Ryan, Nancy Mansberger, Toni Woolfork-Barnes, Sheelah Walter-Reece, and William Rantz

    Overview of Course Development Pathways for Summer I

    • Establishing a primary and consistent point of contact via the process coordinators
    • Help ensure that there is someone to ask, serve as a liaison between colleges, departments, and all other support units
    • Produce a storyboard
    • Learning architects to produce and load
    • Creating, installing courses properly
    • Media Services are available to produce videos, animations, simulations, etc.
    • Course accessibility team on standby reviewing materials, providing recommendations
    • Assembly line format
    • Faculty Champions
      • Help other faculty understand possibility (all instructors)
      • Communicating the process
      • Provide resources/trainings on a range of issues
      • Provide technical training that can be facilitated
      • Have conversations with Process Coordinators
      • Ask, "How best can we support you?"
      • Work one-on-one with faculty who need assistance
      • Unique process depending on the college
    • Process Champions (email to be mailed reflecting the following)
      • Introduce self
      • Call out Faculty Champions
      • Direct faculty to an online form that clarify needs/intentions
    • Stipend is available to part-time instructors and graduate instructors
    • Several Process Coordinators will be assigned to each college
    • Embed a librarian into courses is an option

    Course Development Agreements and Stipends

    • AUP Contract in Article 30.5, we are extending to part-time instructor and grad students are eligible
    • $3,000.00 course development stipend
      • Paid in two payments
        • Storyboard completed
        • Uploaded all final materials into the E-learning system

    Intellectual Property Rights v. Limited Rights Usage

    • Faculty does not give up their intellectual property rights to their materials when they sign the course development agreement.
    • They can give the university/department limited rights usage, allowing other instructors, if the professor gives permission to do so.

    Virtual Classroom Function

    • D2L real time, white board
    • Extended to April 27, 2020; however, not available after this date
    • Teams does have whiteboard

    Synchronous vs. Asynchronous Discussions

    • Synchronous living streaming can create challenges
      • Accessibility issues
      • Cannot closed caption
      • Creates bandwidth issues
    • Asynchronous allows students flexibility

    Browser Lockdown and Webcam Monitor Challenges

    • Virtual proctoring of exams
    • Protect academic integrity
    • Access issues if software not available
    • Technical requirements, students do not have
    • Chromebooks are challenging, if not, impossible to load
    • Lockdown prevents going to other sites, etc.
    • Technical/Privacy issues
    • Potential access issues
    • Possibly create tutorials

    Communication Plan

    • Track communication
    • Building website: post updates
    • Blog function

    Meeting Schedule and Next Steps

    • Weekly meetings
    • Thursday, April 16, 2020, 4:00 p.m.

    Adjournment

    The meeting was adjourned at 4:23 p.m. by Ed Martini

     

    Respectfully submitted by Sheelah Walter-Reece

  • Thursday, April 16, 2020

    Western Michigan University

    Joint Instructional Advisory Committee (JIAC) Meeting

    Thursday, April 16, 2020

     

    Proposed Agenda

    1. Agenda Overview and Additions
    2. Updates on Pressing Concerns from Last Time:
      1. Course Development Agreements and Stipends
      2. Synchronous vs. Asynchronous Discussions
    3. Updates from WMUx Team and Faculty Champions
    4. Updates from Shared Governance Partners
      1. AAUP
      2. Faculty Senate
      3. PIO
      4. TAU
    5. Meeting Schedule and Next Steps

     

     

    Meeting Minutes

    Members present: Edwin Martini, Andrew Holmes, Linda Walker, Adam Bennett, Amy Routhier, Andrew Nieboer, Nancy Mansberger, William Rantz, Carol Weideman, Carol Bale, Chuck Pearson, Michael Ryan, Gwen Tarbox, Cathryn Bailey, Linda Hanson, James Springstead, Brian Horvitz, Kimberly Doudna, David Code, Marcellis Zogdag, Alan Rea, Lisa Singleterry, Holly Grieves, Amy Bocko, Michael Duffy, Lori Brown, Jasmine LaBine, Larry Mallak, Marshall Commack, and Sheelah Walter-Reece

     

    Dr. Ed Martini called the meeting to order at 4:02 p.m.

    Thanks for making time for this meeting – we have a lot of interesting, good things, and some challenges we want to discuss with you as we continue on this journey towards distance learning and online classes for Summer I.

    Approval of Minutes: No objections or additions to the minutes, these will be posted to the website. Thanks to everyone for their input.

     

    Information/Discussion Items

    Agenda Overview and Additions

    • Any major topics or concerns, not on the agenda?
    • Please bring them up in chat and we can add those
    • Updates will be provided regarding:
      • Faculty champions
      • Overhearing from instructors regarding outreach
      • How to make sure instructors know we are here to help as we move forward
      • Hear from AAUP, Faculty Senate, PIO, and TAU
    • Any other concerns or questions we need to add to the agenda?
      • None Reported

    Updates on Pressing Concerns from Last Time

    • Following up from last week, a lot of these issues have been resolved

    Course Development Agreements and Stipends

    • Clarify with instructors
      • The processes for the course development agreements
      • Getting stipends up and running
        • Split stipends if co-teaching a class – yes
        • Need to capture this stipend information really clearly in the course development agreement
    • Faculty who are supervising graduate students (GTA) are able to split their stipends
    • Getting process started and not following through immediately
    • Connect with people as much as possible now and the week ahead so we know the plans for their course
    • Tracking spreadsheet regarding courses
    • PIO, TAU Instructors, we are here for them as well
      • All resources we can offer
      • Team
      • How best we can support instructors
    • Working with Provost Council and Deans
      • Accelerate “the go or no go process” with courses
        • Lower enrollment
    • Deans reporting most colleges are locked in
    • College of Arts and Sciences has the most offerings for Summer
    • Intend to see fluctuation in the last week of this semester
      • Students who are basing decision to take classes or not
    • Identified several appointments of part-time instructors and graduate students
      • Many are in Arts and Sciences
      • Process moving to connect with this instructors to be aware of the resource available to them
    • Approximately 600 courses, 60% response rate
      • Continue to track down remaining the next couple of weeks
    • Stipend qualification
      • Instructors not getting a response, please forward to Amy, Andy, or Ed
    • Sciences assign TAs, instructors of record differently
      • Waiting to hear back from the department on how best to proceed
      • Physics is special with instructional assignments
    • Lab sections are handled very differently

    Synchronous vs. Asynchronous Discussions

    • Various, strong feelings across campus regarding synchronous v asynchronous
    • Plan has been worked out with Registrar’s Office and Academic Forum
      • Several colleges have collected the synchronous information
        • Sent along for time sessions
    • Any department wanting to restore what was in place prior to the shift to online they build into Banner
      • Contact the Registrar’s office (Richard Carbonneau) directly to have the content rebuilt and back up
    • Engineering and Business should be all set
    • Aviation is pretty close
    • Education/HHS – unknown status
    • Arts and Sciences – unknown status
    • Continue to have conversations with instructors
      • Encourage all to do the same
      • Let them know some of the challenges with synchronous meetings, particularly with students
    • If we need to shift to all distance for Summer II going forward
      • Leave day and time information on the “course lookup”
        • Better information for advisors and students
          • Erring on the side of caution
          • Making sure classes don’t conflict
    • Continue to work with instructors to promote asynchronous solutions
    • Encourage conversation with instructors to provide solutions, ways we can help
    • Asynchronous is more work upfront; however make things easier both for instructors and students
    • Online schedule should reflect class meeting times for synchronous sessions
    • Instructors should make sure students are aware of the sessions
    • Virtual Classroom feature D2L, expires at the end of April
      • Videos will not be available after April 30, 2020
      • Assist instructors if the need assistance archiving or download so they will have future access
      • Other solutions available for distance learning

    Updates from WMUx Team and Faculty Champions

    • Communication moving in a good direction
    • Working with instructors
    • Reach back out to instructors, follow up
    • Lists of faculty contact information
      • Continue organic reach out
      • Not make this a departmental issue to involve chairs
    • People are busy with this current semester with exams, etc.
      • Next week we will have an influx
    • Line up resources for instructors
    • Elearning live chat would be the best tool for online appointments
    • Topic training can be offered
      • Theme
      • Department
    • Resources are available training
      • Make instructors aware
    • FAQ link – create a help button on the WMUx homepage
      • Elearning has a FAQ link
    • Testing options – Exam security
      • Training sessions would be appropriate
    • Lockdown function
      • Sciences do not want open book testing
        • What options are out there?
      • Engineering
        • Students need to upload work for problem
          • Need to show work to get credit
      • Options to make this process better
      • Technology Center – students upload work to a drop box
    • Trainings can be created for high demand areas
    • Lockdown browser/Lockdown monitor are tools
    • Faculty Technology Center – technical questions
      • Good way for tracking questions

    Updates from Shared Governance Partners

    AAUP

    • Article 30
      • Make clear the intellectual property belongs to the faculty

    Faculty Senate

    • Executive Board has been meeting every Friday this last month
      • Meeting tomorrow
      • Meeting also April 24, 2020
    • New President and Vice President in May 2020
    • Standing by if there are any issues
    • Otherwise, no concerns at this point

    PIO

    • Waiting to confirm who is teaching, seems more than usual
    • Tomorrow, Friday, there will be a meeting
    • Summer II may be adding more sections for distance learning
    • May 15 is the deadline date determination for online Summer II
    • Prioritizing Summer I first

    TAU

    • Some are waiting to hear back from the departments to see if they qualify for the stipend
    • A lot of excitement for the stipend

    Other

    • Remote labs
      • Community colleges
      • Concerns with summer coming up
        • Some want to reserve a lab for a time, how to handle reservations
        • Access to specialized labs
    • Survey
      • Use as a tool for feedback
      • List talents/knowledge

    Adjournment

    The meeting was adjourned at 4:59 p.m. by Ed Martini

     

    Respectfully submitted by Sheelah Walter-Reece

  • Thursday, April 23, 2020

    Western Michigan University

    Joint Instructional Advisory Committee (JIAC) Meeting

    Thursday, April 23, 2020

     

    Proposed Agenda

    1. Agenda Overview and Additions
    2. Updates on Summer I Course Delivery
    3. Updates from WMUx Team and Faculty Champions
    4. Updates from Shared Governance Partners
      1. AAUP
      2. Faculty Senate
      3. PIO
      4. TAU
    5. Next Steps

     

     

    Meeting Minutes

    Members present: Edwin Martini, Andrew Holmes, Linda Walker, Adam Bennett, Amy Routhier, Andrew Nieboer, William Rantz, Carol Weideman, Carol Bale, Chuck Pearson, Michael Ryan, Gwen Tarbox, Cathryn Bailey, Linda Hanson, James Springstead, Brian Horvitz, Kimberly Doudna, David Code, Marcellis Zogdag, Alan Rea, Lisa Singleterry, Holly Grieves, Amy Bocko, Michael Duffy, Larry Mallak, Marshall Commack, and Sheelah Walter-Reece

     

    Dr. Ed Martini called the meeting to order at 4:01 p.m.

    Hope everyone is doing as well as can be expected – thank you for all you are doing.

    Approval of Minutes: No concerns, objections, or additions to the minutes, these will be posted to the website.

     

    Information/Discussion Items

     

    Agenda Overview and Additions

    • Very general agenda
      • One specific topic to get feedback/discuss
      • Webcams
    • Updates from our groups
    • Faculty Champions to share
    • Any other topics?
      • None mentioned

     

    Updates on Summer I Course Delivery

    • Thanks to all of you, thanks to our team
      • Making continued steady progress
    • Making sure faculty knew about:
      • Resources
      • People here to help with:
        • Faculty Partners
        • Instructional Support Team
    • 75% of courses we had planned for going into the summer
      • Good
    • Waiting for a rush this next week
      • Wrap up spring and start summer
    • Been able to firm up a lot plans and get people connected with resources
      • Additional workshop from:
        • From our team
        • OIT
        • Faculty Champions:
          • College Level
          • University Level
        • Andy and others have completed:
          • Held Q and A sessions
          • 5:00 pm and after one-on-one
            • Help answer specific questions
          • Help with broader awareness, we have:
            • Help Desk
            • Faculty Champions
            • FTC
            • People are here to help via:
              • Live chat
              • Email
              • Phone
              • Several resources
    • 600 courses for summer (as of today 4/23/2020)
      • Course Development Process:
        • 146: Already developed for online
        • 128: Fully online course development
        • 142: Still haven’t heard from
          • Final outreach this afternoon and tomorrow
          • Spring is wrapping up, they will connect
          • Remaining amount consist of various help
    • 56 courses stated: going distance, do not need any assistance
    • 39 courses: need some help making decision for guidance
    • 48 courses: distance with guidance
    • Clarify for faculty, part-time instructors, graduate teaching assistance regarding stipend:
      • Who is eligible
      • Decision making process
      • What courses are eligible?
      • Clarify synchronous sessions
        • We are absolutely supportive of this
    • Some awareness challenges
    • Clarify with instructors – please make us aware of these situations:
      • Process issues
      • Stipend eligibility
      • Development process
      • Contractual issues
    • Demand for training in the range of questions:
      • Webex
        • Haven’t used it
        • Need to familiarize
        • Not fans/haven’t used
        • Intimidated
        • Need basic introductory skills
      • More advanced skills:
        • Webex
        • Teams
      • The more information we can get from you all:
        • Across campus
        • Department level
        • College level
        • Specific tools, trainings, techniques, etc.
        • If we need trainings for faculty on:
          • Whiteboarding within Teams
          • Breakout rooms within Webex
          • The more specific feedback, we can provide niche programming
        • Receiving positive responses to the trainings
        • Thank you for all of your help
        • We will continue to get those trainings out

     

    Updates from WMUx Team and Faculty Champions

    • Webex Trainings
      • Evaluation of Webex trainings regarding effectiveness and helpfulness
        • Survey?
          • At this point, no host session survey
    • If specific questions, contact that team afterwards or contact faculty technology center
    • Encouraging OIT to facilitate these trainings as much as possible
    • Recording of trainings regarding Webex
      • Where is the recording?
        • Basic
        • Advanced
      • Posting a link in the chat that goes over the same topics
      • Recording tomorrow’s session on 4/24/2020
      • Put up basic/advanced session next week
        • We will share for distribution
    • Collect questions we are answering as faculty champions
      • Figure out the streams of communication we have as a guide
    • Revisit the training options
      • May need one-on-one training
    • Being the background person in a Webex room
      • A lot of faculty would benefit from someone there
        • In case of technical difficulty
        • Fear/afraid
        • Making a mistake/not confident
        • Not knowing technology well enough
        • Identify common questions
          • Can capture those specific questions
            • Common themes we can address those in a comprehensive way:
              • FAQ page
              • Quick one page
              • Simple solutions
    • Reassuring faculty we have lots of resources available:
      • Help desks
      • Live chats
      • Technical people who can help
      • Not on your own
      • Help available, doesn’t happen automatically
      • Talking through issues makes a big difference
      • New to online/distance learning
        • Not happy
      • Resources we can develop and make available
      • The role of reassurance you are making a big difference
    • More Webex/Zoom sessions/trainings
      • There will be more scheduled
        • Dates and times to be announced
    • Webex on YouTube
      • Hacks/Tricks
    • Thank you for all the work you are all doing

     

    Webcam

    • Faculty members asking if they can require students have a webcam for the class, if not, do not continue in that class
      • Problematic
      • Accessibly issues
      • Webcams are not readily available
      • Students did not select online for summer
      • Many challenges
    • Exam proctoring/Exam monitoring
      • Very specifically the use of Respondus Monitor function for exams
    • Does create some interesting challenges what faculty can/should require for a particular section
      • It is a good question, uncharted territory
      • Steer faculty to our team to with questions/conversations
        • What do you want the students to have a webcam for?
        • What is it you are trying to do?
        • Why is it a necessary piece of equipment?
        • Are there other solutions we can work through for particular assignments/particular way of doing things/exams?
        • Is it possible you could encourage that people have webcams, but not necessarily require it?
        • Make accommodations for the students who don’t have it?
    • Webcam questions continue to come up despite these responses
      • Get wisdom as how best to approach
      • What faculty can require in their classes
      • Given the situation we are all in
    • Essential requirements:
      • i.e. a piano for a piano class
      • If only for an illusion of security that monitor provides in test taking, then, they should be educated in other ways the can construct their tests/assignments
    • Teaching Assistance:
      • Security theater
      • You can use a webcam and not capture:
        • Using a phone
        • Second computer
        • Access issues
        • Don’t want home situation recorded
        • We are still in a crisis
          • Did not choose online, trying to make it work
      • Other best practices for online testing not requiring webcam:
        • Essay driven
        • Critical thinking
        • Change timing
        • Plenty of others
      • To require a webcam seems a little iffy
      • Assume assessments are "open book"
        • Make more challenging
        • Design assessment accordingly
        • Looking up information as part of the activity
        • Some instructors may want to "pretend" in same classroom
          • Record those class sessions
          • If students can attend
          • If students cannot – option to watch later
          • Post questions in discussion boards
            • Students will then have different modes of participating and get questions answered
      • Considering requirements for computers in the fall
        • Stimulate testing
        • Proctorio (lockdown browser)
          • Require this for exams
          • Did not require for this spring semester
      • Going into fall:
        • Full suite of services
        • Do not have laptop policies across most of the colleges
        • Make sure we have resources
          • Make those available in an equitable way
          • Get to for fall as a campus/university
      • Encourage our colleagues
        • Looking to require webcams
          • Think differently
      • Collective Bargaining Unit
        • Contracts
          • Academic Freedom clauses in them
    • Come up with a statement
      • Encouraging not to require the use of a webcam in class during summer sessions
        • For the following reasons
        • To reflect collective thinking
        • To pursue alternatives the best they can
        • Give faculty another avenue, some other thoughts
        • Teaching college or skills
        • Have a conversation
        • Webcams not readily available
        • Poor internet connection
        • Crisis mode, students do not have access to all these tools
      • Does this group feel comfortable working on this?
        • Interest to pursue
        • Endorse this colleague to colleague
        • Timeliness issue
        • Marcel would be glad to help
        • Draft a statement
        • A brief check in during the week
        • Senate structure in place:
          • Executive Board – meets every Friday
          • Faculty Senate
    • Using a monitor for exams
      • Not recommended for summer
      • Didn’t expect to go online for summer
      • Finish degrees
      • Revisit before the fall starts
      • Tricky issue
      • Not be dictated by Provost, Department Chairs, Deans, etc.
      • Pros and cons should be listed out simply
    • Standardization guidelines for online education
      • Faculty Senate on that too
      • Look at existing policies
        • Pretty vague
          • Opportunity to add something meaningful
    • Elearning Standards
      • In place to guide development of online classes
      • Helpful guideposts
      • However, do not apply to these situations
        • Instructors /students did not choose this mode
    • Final Surveys:
      • 2 webcams only reported (2/17)
        • Not feasible at this time to purchase a webcam
    • Survey students
      • A good idea
    • Technology available
      • Then required if provided by the university

     

    Updates from Shared Governance Partners

    • AAUP
      • No updates
      • Pleased to hear what is going on
      • Thank you
    • Faculty Senate
      • No updates
      • Appreciate the awareness
      • Terrific job
    • PIO
      • Preliminary list for the teaching assistants
        • Reach out to them tomorrow (4/24/2020)
      • TAs they heard they were eligible

     

    Thank you all for the updates and making time

    Please pass along concerns, etc.

     

    Adjournment

    The meeting was adjourned at 4:54 p.m. by Ed Martini

     

     

    Respectfully submitted by Sheelah Walter-Reece

  • Thursday, April 30, 2020

    Western Michigan University

    Joint Instructional Advisory Committee (JIAC) Meeting

    Thursday, April 30, 2020

     

    Proposed Agenda and Additions

    1. Updates on Summer I Course Delivery
    2. Summer II Discussion
    3. Webcams
    4. Updates from WMUx Team and Faculty Champions
    5. Updates from Shared Governance Partners
      1. AAUP
      2. Faculty Senate
      3. PIO
      4. TAU
    6. Next Steps

     

     

    Meeting Minutes

    Members present: Edwin Martini, Andrew Holmes, Linda Walker, Adam Bennett, Amy Routhier, Andrew Nieboer, William Rantz, Carol Weideman, Carol Bale, Chuck Pearson, Michael Ryan, Gwen Tarbox, Cathryn Bailey, Linda Hanson, James Springstead, Brian Horvitz, Kimberly Doudna, David Code, Marcellis Zogdag, Alan Rea, Lisa Singleterry, Holly Grieves, Amy Bocko, Michael Duffy, Larry Mallak, Marshall Commack, Jasmine LaBine, Irene Kivinen and Sheelah Walter-Reece

     

    Dr. Ed Martini called the meeting to order at 4:01 p.m.

    Thanks always to all of you for being here.

    Are there any specific items to be added to the agenda?

    • Updates from WMUx Team
    • Faculty Champions

    Approval of Minutes: No concerns, objections, or additions to the minutes, these will be posted to the website.

     

    Information/Discussion Items

     

    Agenda Overview and Additions

    • Quick conversation about Summer II
    • Share update about webcam discussions
    • Updates from WMUx Team and Faculty Champions
    • Updates from Shared Governance Partners

     

    Updates on Summer I Course Delivery

    • Progress is going good
      • Steady stream
      • Ready for an influx
    • Estimate/Budget for additional stipends
      • Total number of sections
      • Percentage
        • Partial/Started
        • Not want to proceed
        • A lot of work
        • Compressed timeframe
      • Need feedback
        • Negative
        • Positive
        • Awareness
    • Follow up conversations
      • Consider full online
      • Always can come back, do more
    • Trainings have been phenomenal
      • Teams
      • Webex
      • Advanced training on Webex
    • 133 courses indicated they would go through the course development process
    • Approximately 50 partial stipends
      • To complete
      • Around 50 completed Storyboard
    • Continue to track
      • Close the loop
      • Follow up later
        • We can track this information

     

    Summer II Discussion

    • Discussion with Faculty Champions on Tuesday
      • Conversations moving towards summer
      • May 15 deadline for decision on Summer II
        • Some face to face
        • Field classes
        • Governor’s extension
        • External environment factors
      • Summer II will also be fully online/distance format
        • Waiting to announce formally
    • Hopeful to make an announcement sooner than later
      • Preparedness
      • Begin development process
      • Students time to decide to enroll or not
    • Thinking about fall
      • Complicated
        • Variations of what fall could look like
        • Exact factors
        • Inclined to wait to make a call
        • The longer we delay
          • the harder it is to make decisions
            • how to teach
            • staff
            • what students are going to do
        • Revenue Projections
          • Potential losses between $45 to $85 million
            • $85 million – worst case scenario
              • Revenue generation
              • State money (lack of)
              • Loss of revenue
                • Residence Halls
                • Auxiliary Services
                • Athletics
        • Additional feedback regarding fall
          • Can ladder that back up
    • Inventory traditional/non-traditional courses
      • Clinical classes cannot be done online
        • Solutions
    • Methods of contact
      • Go back in classroom in the fall
        • Second outbreak
      • Going distance throughout in the fall
        • Useful to continue this ramped up services
      • Face to face might not be through the whole school year
    • Hybrid approach
      • Most likely
      • Other contingencies in place
    • Use larger classrooms
      • For smaller classes
    • Uncertainty
    • Communication
      • What we communicate to everyone
      • Prepared to go in that direction
      • Confident of our ability
      • Different scenarios
    • Being prepared
    • Ensure we can adapt to the environment
      • Different contingency plans
    • Systematic inventory has not been taken at this time
    • Deans dealing with the financial cuts
      • To what degree?
      • Online readiness?
      • Guidelines?
      • How to direct those cuts?
    • Provost Council
      • Conversations with Deans
      • Very serious financial situation
        • How best to come to terms
        • High degree of uncertainty
          • Additional challenges
          • How to absorb budget cuts
          • Still being able to deliver a curriculum
            • In fall 2020
    • Ready to react to different scenarios
      • Adjust based on external environment
      • What university decides to do
      • Plan to develop and deliver those classes
        • Deans are challenged at answering these questions
        • No easy answers
    • Part time instructors and graduate instructors
      • More aptitude
      • Early in career
      • Financial incentives
    • Cut part-time dollars; then full time:
      • Highly flexible
      • Readiness for online
      • Preparedness for online
    • Keep lines of communication/conversation open
      • Group set up to share
        • Let us share
        • Ladder it up
        • Provost
        • Deans
      • Have to communicate actively
      • Distance communication mode
        • More challenged

     

    Webcams

    • The use of webcams
      • Requirements
    • AUP, PIO, TAU, Faculty Senate talked about it
      • Respective meetings
      • Discussions with Provost
    • Promote best practices
      • Make instructors aware of tools/technologies available to them
      • Use relationships you have as colleagues to think through in specific scenario
        • Why use a piece of technology or software as a form of assessment to achieve a learning outcome
        • Make aware, not to prescribe/mandate
          • Can or cannot be done in class
          • Should or should not be done
    • Drafted an overview statement summarizing some of the challenges and issues are with webcams
      • Use of webcams in general
      • Lockdown browser and lockdown monitor tool
      • Exam proctoring
      • Exam integrity
    • Draft is up on the Teams channel
      • Make a couple of adjustments to the draft
        • Circulate to JIAC group
          • Additional feedback
            • Circulate final
              • Use as a guiding document
    • Faculty Senate, EIO, TAU, AUP
      • Can weigh in
      • Final version
        • Share/not share
      • Not prescription of any kind
      • Guidance of promotion of best practices
    • Privacy issues with webcam
      • Use mobile phone when taking exams
    • Fall online
      • Students know webcams are required
    • Assumption of privacy needs to be discussed
    • Look at long range as we go into the future
    • Language on the privacy issues we can incorporate
    • Send suggestions to Ed Martini
    • Helping is our role
      • Guidelines
      • Issues
        • What we can do
      • List problem issues
      • Tools
        • Use or not use
      • Integrity of assessment
    • Prepare nursing students
      • Way to proctor tests
    • Long term proctoring solutions
      • Variety of fields are asking for it
    • No perfect tool, this statement captures this

     

    Updates from WMUx Team and Faculty Champions

    • Moving towards trainings
      • Prioritize list of topics for trainings
      • Get on calendars

     

    Updates from Shared Governance Partners

    • AAUP
      • No updates at this time
    • Faculty Senate
      • Behind you 100%
      • Good job
    • PIO
      • Fall questions
      • Things going well
    • TAU
      • Adam/Irene?
        • Most members concerned about budgeting/appointments
          • Instructional design
          • Meeting tomorrow, continue to reach out to members

     

    Next Steps

    Thanks to everyone for everything

    Testament to all of you who work so hard

     

    Adjournment

    The meeting was adjourned at 4:50 p.m. by Ed Martini

     

     

    Respectfully submitted by Sheelah Walter-Reece

  • Thursday, May 8, 2020

    Western Michigan University

    Joint Instructional Advisory Committee (JIAC) Meeting

    Thursday, May 8, 2020

     

    Proposed Agenda

    1. Agenda Overview and Additions
    2. Updates on Summer I, Summer II
    3. Webcam/Respondus Updates
    4. Fall Contingency Group
    5. Other Updates from WMUx Team and Faculty Champions
    6. Updates from Shared Governance Partners
      1. AAUP
      2. Faculty Senate
      3. PIO
      4. TAU
    7. Next Steps

     

     

    Meeting Minutes

    Members present: Edwin Martini, Andrew Holmes, Linda Walker, Amy Routhier, Andrew Nieboer, William Rantz, Carol Bale, Michael Ryan, Gwen Tarbox, Cathryn Bailey, Linda Hanson, James Springstead, Brian Horvitz, Kimberly Doudna, David Code, Marcellis Zogdag, Holly Grieves, Amy Bocko, Michael Duffy, Larry Mallak, Marshall Commack, Jasmine LaBine, Sheelah Walter-Reece, Lisa Singleterry, Alan Rea, Stephen Hasenick, Chuck Pearson, Nancy Mansberger

     

    Dr. Ed Martini called the meeting to order at 1:02 p.m.

    Approval of Minutes: No concerns, objections, or additions to the minutes, these will be posted to the website and archived.

     

    Information/Discussion Items

     

    Agenda Overview and Additions

    • Hope everybody had a chance to see the agenda and the minutes
      • Any additions to the agenda?
    • General updates on:
      • On Summer I, Summer II
      • Webcam/Respondus document update
      • Fall Contingency Planning Group
        • Provost is leading
        • Ed, Andy, Alan, Jim – on this committee
        • First meeting yesterday
        • Follow up conversations on the role of this group
      • Other updates from anybody
      • Additional workshops the Faculty Champions have been working with us on:
        • "How to" and "Why to"
      • Updates from our Shared Governance Partners

     

    Updates on Summer I, Summer II

    • Summer I four days from Summer I Census
      • 9.4% in student credit hours total across board
        • Compared to one year ago today
        • Made the call to go distance for Summer I
          • Students registered knowing plan
            • Joined classes
              • You and your colleagues have built
              • Staying in those courses
              • Not to census date yet
              • Still head count
              • Credit hours
              • Up 15% in undergraduate credit hours
              • Down a little in graduate credit hours
          • Overall, lower than had we been able to run campus classes
            • Main campus tuition
            • Fees
              • All different levels
            • Could have been much worse
          • Testament to all the amazing work
            • All of our instructors and faculty
            • Across campus
              • to this group
              • all instructional support team
              • WMUx
              • OIT
              • Libraries
            • Thank you all for making this possible
        • Hoping to see similar growth for Summer II
          • 10% off from where we were last year
          • Formal announcement on Summer II next week
            • May 15, 2020 deadline for announcement
              • Thought it would come sooner
              • Will see a call next week
    • Examining the accessibility issues
      • Doing everything we can
        • Especially those new to eLearning
        • New to online classes
        • Make sure all materials are continuing to be upload for students
          • Accessibility guidelines
        • Prioritize
          • Students might be in classes who:
            • Need accommodations
            • Need help through that process
          • A lot of people helping
            • Accessibility experts
            • OIT
            • WMUx
            • DSS
            • WMUx staff
            • Library staff
          • Thanks to everybody for doing this work
          • Hard work
          • Important work
    • Ally
      • Purchasing this tool
      • Directly integrated into eLearning
      • Proactively identifies content that is being loaded that is not compliant with accessibility requirements
      • Provides a score/guidance on how to improve the accessibility rating on any piece of content
      • Student (Student mode) interacting with content
        • Provides alternative formats
        • Word document
        • PDF
        • Audio version
      • Mid-June
        • Activated for every course shell within eLearning
    • Creating a course shell
      • Promoting and adopting open educational resources
      • Get people on board for summer II and fall if necessary
      • A chance to do cool stuff
    • Workshops
      • Online v Technology
      • Weekly training schedule to focus on the "Why"
        • Workshop next week
          • Dedicated to designing learning experiences
          • Instructional design
          • Methodologies behind teaching
          • Strategically designing the courses
          • Group work
            • Based on the feedback
        • Assessing learning
          • Different ways it can be done
        • Video and media strategies
        • Best practices
        • How to promote engagement
        • FAQ panel
        • Why we are providing the guidance that we do
      • Schedule will be published today
        • Heavily promoted
          • Share the word
        • On the Instructional Continuity Page
          • Drop in/Quick Start Sessions
            • Hope to have great attendance
            • Learn if it is meeting the need
            • Building additional sessions based on the feedback we get
    • Summer II announcement next week
      • Mentally prepared for distance learning

     

    Webcam/Respondus Updates

    • Talked through this last week
    • Shared document
      • Couple of minor suggestions and adjustments from AAUP
        • Description of it as guidance for those who are using webcams v who is requiring webcams
          • Friendly amendment to this
      • Clean up
        • Didn’t get too specific
      • TAO
        • Fully support
        • Happy to endorse
      • PIO
        • Did not hear concerns/feedback/questions/issues
      • Faculty Senate
        • Good with it
    • Circulate final version
    • Circulate out
      • Colleagues
      • Bargaining units
      • Faculty Senate
    • Guiding resources
      • Continue to use
      • Best practices

     

    Fall Contingency Group

    • Met yesterday with Provost
      • Full representation from all colleges
        • Academic Support areas
        • Faculty
        • Staff
        • Administrators
    • Andy and Ed for WMUx
    • Alan is Faculty Representative for the COB
    • Jim is the Faculty Representative for College of Engineering
    • Faculty Senate and AAUP asked to provide recommendations
    • Met yesterday
      • Introductions
        • About one hour
        • Sense of full range of expertise
          • Teach large lecture classes
          • Teach small graduate seminars
            • Introductory classes
            • Clinical classes
            • Field classes
            • Internships
          • Full range of instructional expertise
          • Proceed as a group:
          • Four general ways of coming back for fall:
            • Fully online
            • Face to Face, then have to pivot to online in the middle of the semester
            • Face to Face classes on campus with social distancing guidelines
              • Limit number of students
              • Protocols
              • Cleaning protocols
              • Testing protocols
              • Taking temperatures of students, etc.
            • Adjusted Academic Calendar
              • Started later
              • Ended earlier
                • Intentionally
                • Adjust
              • Complicated
                • Contracts
          • Dividing into groups
            • Work on these four areas
          • Come back together to share over the weeks ahead
          • Comments to what would work best
            • Any thoughts
              • What will work best
          • First preliminary meeting yesterday
            • State and Federal guidelines incorporated
          • Fully online group did not have interest
            • We have a lot of people who can
            • Know how
            • Planning for those scenarios in WMUx
            • Provost by request to this group
              • JIAC and the Faculty Champions could serve as a thinking group of what fall semester would look like fully online
                • Additional considerations that we would need to take into account
                • Input
              • Would we pursue faculty champion appointments for summer II as well
                • Have not planned out
                • Think through
        • Weigh in from an instructional mix standpoint
          • Sections
            • Types of sections
    • Different rhythm of instruction
      • Communication to faculty
        • Different way of instruction
    • Synchronous v Asynchronous
      • Asynchronous does take more time upfront
        • Payoffs down the road
          • Especially teaching multiple times
    • Primary goal is to make sure the lines of communication are open
      • Raising issues
      • Raising questions
      • Instructional mix
        • Complicated
          • Budget
      • How we are going to deliver classes in the fall
      • Continue to raise/share questions/comments
    • Provost values this group as a means of communication and keeping those lines open
      • Course delivery
      • Budgets
      • Uncertainty for fall
    • What a fully online fall would look like?
    • What are the issues we need to prepare for?
    • What are the related questions and concerns?
    • Ask faculty champions to think about level of interest in pursuing this
      • Summer II, as well
    • Individually send note
      • Something you would want to do
      • Something you can logistically do
    • Get a sense of who is interested across areas
    • Get creative

     

    Other Updates from WMUx Team and Faculty Champions

    • It was busy the first week of classes
    • Summer II we will have more time

     

    Updates from Shared Governance Partners

    • AAUP
      • Use of the webcams
        • Cheating
        • Problems associated with
        • Being clear the message is identified as "best practice"
          • The key point
        • Some faculty are concerned or fear some discontinuation of
          • Assistance
          • Stipend for working with WMUx
            • Clear support and quality
            • Come back later to continue the course setup
          • Purpose of this groups is to keep the lines of communication open
            • Absolutely doing this
          • Contractual process for the stipend is there
            • Absolutely will follow
            • Honor the contract
              • Pay stipends
        • Thank you to everybody that has stepped up to do this work
          • It is vital
          • Be supportive of each other
          • Recognize the challenges
          • Appreciate the work you are doing
    • Faculty Senate
      • Executive Board is concerned about timeliness notifying all the faculty body about what/how you are doing it
        • How to get in contact with the champions
        • Regular communication
        • Go to person is very important
        • Weekly communication
          • Mailings
        • Campus wide emails
          • How frequently sent out
        • Workshops campus wide
          • Frequently as you can
        • Opportunities for training/education
        • Who do I go to for help
        • Make aware of resources
      • Otherwise, doing great work
    • PIO
      • Planning a Virtual Town Hall for part-timers for May 29
        • Budget
        • Experience of going online
        • Wellness checks via phone
          • Teaching online is positive
          • Going to be encouraging our members to take advantage of this
          • Being included in conversations/process as part-timers has felt good
            • Morale booster
        • Thank you for including us
    • TAU
      • No report at this time

     

    Marketing Communications

    • Grand Valley is driving a lot of press to say how well prepared they are to teach online
    • Contrasting from us good personal interest stories
      • Difficulties of teaching online
    • Should we also communicate positively to the outside world what we are doing?
      • Heard a lot of that yesterday in the fall group
      • Provost heard that message loud and clear yesterday
      • Fall Contingency Group
        • Academic Affairs group
      • Communicating more about what we are doing
        • Reopen
        • Construction
        • Back on campus
        • Student center
      • Provost is regularly in touch about messaging/coordinating

     

    Online Route

    • Going for best instruction possible
      • Market
        • Student focused
          • Safety of students
          • Best quality
        • Strong statement with meaning
      • Provost asking JIAC to be the group
        • Fully online delivery
        • Think through implications
          • What if we need to
      • Marketing for fall
        • Tuition fee structure
          • Non-resident grad students
          • Key interests
    • Online education is the same base price as main campus undergraduate lower level tuition
      • Online is not less expensive
    • Thank you all, we really appreciate all of your work

     

    Next Steps

    • Summer II
      • Getting ready
      • Ideas/suggestions what we can do
      • Streamline development process
    • Talk through communication strategies

     

    Adjournment

    The meeting was adjourned at 1:57 p.m. by Ed Martini

     

     

    Respectfully submitted by Sheelah Walter-Reece

  • Thursday, May 14, 2020

    Western Michigan University

    Joint Instructional Advisory Committee (JIAC) Meeting

    Thursday, May 14, 2020

     

    Proposed Agenda

    1. Agenda Overview and Additions
    2. Summer I Updates
    3. Summer II Timing and Planning
      1. Faculty Champions Role
      2. JIAC Role
    4. Fall Contingency Planning – Fully Online Options
    5. Other Updates from WMUx Team and Faculty Champions
    6. Updates from Shared Governance Partners
      1. AAUP
      2. Faculty Senate
      3. PIO
      4. TAU
    7. Next Steps

     

     

    Meeting Minutes

    Members present: Edwin Martini, Andrew Holmes, Linda Walker, Maria Gigante, Amy Routhier, Andrew Nieboer, William Rantz, Carol Bale, Michael Ryan, Gwen Tarbox, Cathryn Bailey, Linda Hanson, James Springstead, Brian Horvitz, Kimberly Doudna, David Code, Marcellis Zogdag, Holly Grieves, Amy Bocko, Michael Duffy, Larry Mallak, Marshall Commack, Jasmine LaBine, Sheelah Walter-Reece, Steve Hasenick, Lisa Singleterry, Alan Rea, Nancy Mansberger, Irene Kivinen, Chuck Pearson, Toni Woolfork-Barnes

    Dr. Ed Martini called the meeting to order at 3:02 p.m.

    Thanks for being here, thanks for all you are doing.

    Approval of Minutes: No concerns, objections, or additions to the minutes, these will be posted on the website and archived

     

    Information/Discussion Items

     

    Agenda Overview and Additions

    No additional agenda items added

    Special guest today, Maria Gigante, Department of English, College of Arts and Sciences, and Office of Faculty Development

    • Many transitions:
      • OFD is merging with WMUx
        • Will be WMUx in the future
        • Exciting
        • Reimagining as we go forward
        • OFD/summer appointments
          • What they are working on?
          • Interested in?
          • Plans have changed
        • Interests
        • Change of plans
      • Communication challenges
        • Communicating effectively to
          • Different audiences
          • Constituents
          • Faculty
          • Instructors
            • Get word out what we are doing and the resources we have
          • Maria will be coming up with projects to help faculty that arein her area of expertise
          • Glad to have you here, Maria
            • Thank you for inviting me – listening and learning

     

    Summer I Updates

    • Enrollment update
      • On track for Summer I
      • WMU up 15% in credit hours
        • Undergraduate
      • Little down in graduate level
      • 9% growth in credit hours
        • Census from one year ago
      • Testament to all the hard work
        • Faculty
        • Instructors
        • Staff
        • Thanks to all of you

     

    Summer II Timing and Planning

    • Expect an announcement tomorrow regarding Summer II
      • Going online/distance mode
      • Planning for that eventuality
      • Faculty champions have been planning for this
      • Ready to make that transition
        • Updates to the process for course development
        • 22% off for credit hours at this point last year
          • Moved it 30%
      • Summer II – Cognos report today:
        • 50 days before Summer II census
          • 10% off in undergraduate headcount
          • 12% in graduate headcount
          • 10.8% in total headcount
        • Credit hours
          • 9% down in undergrad
          • 8% for grad
          • 8.7% down for credit hours
      • Hopeful
        • Online classes
        • Act accordingly to plan
        • Advisors will know to reach out
        • For a similar impact/outcome as Summer I
    • Update for Summer I
      • 9% up in credit hours
      • 5% up in headcount
        • Influx/drop/add

     

    Faculty Champions Role

    • How that group can be best utilized?
      • Appointments for Summer II
      • Possibility for Fall
        • Fall Contingency Planning Group
          • Up and running
          • Terrific group
          • Well represented areas
          • Looking at all options for fall
          • doing things different in the fall
          • planning for the possibility for some or all of fall online courses
        • Potential role for faculty champions
          • Making room for summer appointments
          • Plenty of work to go around

     

    JIAC Role

    • Provost asking this group to be a sub-group
      • Fully online option would look like
        • Additional resources
        • Additional challenges/issues
        • Fall options
    • How best to utilize this group?
    • The evolving role as we transition
    • Great communication
      • Get information quickly
      • Answer questions
      • Connection is great for us
    • Communication is very important
    • Replicate Summer I
      • Enrollments increased
      • Learned a lot from summer I
      • Deliver a high quality experience
    • Communication Plan
      • Here is what we can offer
      • Learned a lot as a university
      • A lot to offer in terms of online
        • Accessibility/flexibly
          • We can offer this
    • Marketing battle
      • Two other institutions marketing online
    • Positive message/communication
      • Remind faculty we are learning and growing as a faculty
    • Positive student stories
      • Program is now online, take classes in the evenings
      • Positive stories out there
        • Highlighting some of those stories
      • Capture some more positive student stories
      • Additional thoughts
        • Success stories from:
          • Faculty
          • Instructors
          • Students
      • Here is how we can this
      • Accelerate that process
      • Concerned about online
        • Learning technology
        • Had no idea resources available
          • Feel better
        • Teaching courses online
          • Ways to deliver education
      • Create a segment
        • Faculty champions are signed up with someone to take them on technological tours
          • One-on-one
          • Easy anxiety
          • Faculty Champions, for some, providing one-on-one training/helping
      • Need positive communication/feedback

     

    Fall Contingency Planning – Fully Online Options

    • Our role as thinking through the fully online option
    • Group coming back together tomorrow, Friday
    • Started sketching out issues/concerns
    • Additional thoughts?
      • Fully online Fall
        • Not able to open campus
      • Concerns this group would have?
    • Ideas for the champions continuing
      • Combination of Summer II and Fall
        • Need to communicate
    • Positive communication/feedback
    • Transfer students
      • Offer more courses online
      • Competitive advantage
    • Couple different colleges who resisted online
      • Now putting programs online
      • Movement in those discussions
      • It is doable with tools and resources
      • More options
      • Student flexibility
    • Preparing courses for online for Fall
      • Need to communicate that information upfront
    • Testimonials from experienced instructors
      • How semesters look differently
      • Find some benefits to online teaching
      • What are the most effective mechanisms by which we can communicate?
        • Testimonials from instructors would be effective
        • Experienced instructors feedback
      • Faculty asking where are the WebEx videos
        • Think of the student
        • Recognize
          • Take time to think of the rhythm
    • Team thinking to improve the process of online
      • Follow up communication on Monday
        • Reintroducing the concept
    • Course Development Process changes for Summer II
      • 200 courses that have been identified as eligible
      • Process Coordinators are queued up
        • Slightly revised email to send out to instructors on Monday
      • Learned some lessons in Summer I
        • Few changes
          • Initial form
            • Different options:
              • I don't need any assistance at this time
              • I am not sure I need to consult with someone
                • Backlog of instructors waiting to talk
              • Directing anybody who is unsure of whether or not to embark into the Course Development Process
              • Directing them to attend one of these webinars
    • Emails will go out on Monday, thank you all for volunteering to be a part of those webinars next week
      • Reserving time to talk to instructors
        • Workload
        • Who haven't done it before
      • 137 courses were already scheduled to be taught online for Summer II
        • Slightly different communication
        • Relatively confident they are set
          • Already taught course online
          • Involved in the course development process
    • Operating off an Excel spreadsheet
      • Shifting to a project management system that allows tracking/assigning tasks
        • Help stay on top of it better
        • Identify how to get things unstuck
        • Making improvements to the instructional design course storyboard
          • More user friendly
          • Populate some of the elements before hand
          • Consultation
            • Should help
          • Course development agreement
            • Linked in form
            • Now much more similar when it was on paper
            • Summer II and Fall 2020 will be routed to this form
            • More guidance
              • Why we do what we do
            • Great suggestion in champion meeting
              • Dedicate a page to the course development process and include the agreement there
            • Help people get the information they need to make a timely decision
    • PIO/TAU:
      • Getting word out
      • Keep lines of communication open
      • Are you getting word about webinars?
      • Is there anything we can do to address your groups?
      • Do you have chapter meetings coming up?
        • Possible to connect
      • Are you getting the content we are providing?
    • Have not received an email regarding the webinars
      • PIO contact email
        • President/PIO email will forward to Irene
        • Email Irene's direct address
          • Email both accounts
    • Thank you all

     

    Other Updates from WMUx Team and Faculty Champions

    • Doing a great job

     

    Updates from Shared Governance Partners

    • AAUP
      • No update
    • Faculty Senate
      • Doing a great job
    • PIO
      • All good
    • TAU
      • Meeting with PIO moving forward
        • Standing together on the same page

     

    No additional items/issues

    Thank you all, we have covered some good ground today

    Appreciate everybody being part of this group, continuing to help move the university along.

    Help our instructors, help our students – I think this groups is a great model of keeping the communication lines open and work on solutions

    Thanks to everybody, we really appreciate it

    Next Steps: Next week, Thursday, May 21, 2020

     

    Adjournment

    The meeting was adjourned at 3:45 p.m. by Ed Martini

     

     

    Respectfully submitted by Sheelah Walter-Reece

  • Thursday, May 21, 2020

    Western Michigan University

    Joint Instructional Advisory Committee (JIAC) Meeting

    Thursday, May 21, 2020

     

    Proposed Agenda

    1. Agenda Overview and Additions
    2. Summer I Updates
    3. Summer II Updates and Planning
      1. Faculty Champions Role
      2. JIAC Role
    4. Fall Contingency Planning Update
    5. Back to Work Modules
    6. Other Updates from WMUx Team and Faculty Champions
    7. Updates from Shared Governance Partners
      1. AAUP
      2. Faculty Senate
      3. PIO
      4. TAU
    8. Next Steps