You realize that there is a power in writing—We’ll help you harness that power as you prepare for your career. When you study rhetoric and writing, you’ll discover how to effect change, create meaning, and spur action. You’ll work closely with our specialized faculty to hone the art of writing for your own purposes.
Whether you intend to become a web writer, copywriter, speech writer, technical writer, grant writer, journalist, teacher, lawyer, business owner, or just to bolster your employability, the rhetoric and writing studies program will provide you with a strong foundation.
Major in rhetoric and writing studies
A major in rhetoric and writing studies offers you the chance to examine one of the oldest disciplines in the humanities and then leverage that knowledge to impact situated needs in contemporary contexts.
Minor in rhetoric and writing studies
A minor in rhetoric and writing studies complements your field of study by emphasizing the fundamentals of communication that are essential to any discipline.
Rhetoric and writing studies program goals
When you pursue a major or minor in rhetoric and writing studies, you will:
- Develop writing strategies that will lead to your success in the workplace and in society.
- Analyze consumer, corporate, organizational, and popular culture with rhetorical theory.
- Produce websites, multimodal texts, grant proposals, and other documents using industry-standard technology.
- Explore specialized intersections of rhetoric and writing.
- Acquire foundational knowledge in English writing, language, and literature.
To learn more, please contact the following rhetoric and writing studies faculty members:
As always, you’ll also want to speak with our department advisor:
- Phil Egan, undergraduate director and chief advisor