Are you a creative, driven individual interested in building or managing your own business? The entrepreneurship major at Western Michigan University may be right for you! You’ll learn to identify entrepreneurial opportunities and build a viable business through developing capabilities in idea generation, opportunity recognition, resource acquisition and financial management.
WMU pursues academic excellence through innovative approaches to learning, discovery and service. The entrepreneurship major is designed to combine in-class education with hands-on experiential learning. There are several ways to develop your own business while pursuing your degree by participating in the many entrepreneurship activities offered, including the student business accelerator and the annual business pitch competition.
Whether you’re an aspiring entrepreneur or interested in working for a small business, the entrepreneurship major will arm you with the skills vital for success.
The entrepreneurship major at Western Michigan University will provide you with a strong foundation in entrepreneurial concepts along with the flexibility to specialize in a secondary area based on academic tracks, or take courses to obtain a minor or another major.
Students who complete an entrepreneurship major will be prepared to:
- Work for a startup.
- Start their own company.
- Work for their family business.
You are encouraged to develop your ideas and attend or compete at premier entrepreneurial and innovation events. In addition, WMU offers:
- Starting Gate, the student business accelerator
- PITCH, a business pitch competition
- Entrepreneurship Club, a student-led organization
- Entrepreneurship Forum, a monthly community event
- MGMT 2140—Exploring Entrepreneurship
- MGMT 3350—Building the Entrepreneurial Business
- MGMT 4350—Growing the Entrepreneurial Business
- MKTG 3600—Professional Selling
- FIN 3350—Small Business Finance
Electives (nine credit hours)
Students are given the flexibility to focus their coursework on their areas of interest.
- MGMT 4740: Entrepreneurial Strategy
If you have questions or concerns related to your coursework, or who seek career advising, contact: