Credits required: 30
Graduate job titles
Employers of program graduates
Overall engineering employment is expected to grow by 11 percent from 2010 to 2020.Bureau of Labor Statistics
Master of Science (MS)
MS in engineering management: building people who build things
As an engineer in the field, you tackle new challenges every day. WMU offers a degree program that can help you take on the unique challenges of management in a variety of engineering fields.
The Master of Science program in engineering management was developed to meet the need for professional leaders and decision-makers in manufacturing, process engineering and tooling design. It focuses on skills like technical engineering and project systems management to prepare you to lead people, projects and teams.
Why engineering management at Western Michigan University
The Engineering Management master's program at WMU gives you the skills you need to become a more dynamic and well-rounded engineering professional.
- Learn how world-class managers do what they do and apply that knowledge in your own career.
- Enhance your communication skills to enhance your engineering talent.
- Lead teams, projects, and people to success by becoming an expert on project systems management.
- Network and learn alongside local and regional engineering peers.
WMU's Department of Industrial and Entrepreneurial Engineering and Engineering Management is a registered education provider for the Project Management Institute. Earn professional development units for your project management professional credential when you take EM 6140.
Benefits to students
- More influence in your organization
- Greater job responsibility
- Higher starting salary
- Rapid career advancement
From Kalamazoo to Kenya I joined a diverse network of professionals, students, and faculty that challenged my perspectives and developed my approach, both personally and professionally. The Faculty is distinguished in their own right, and the program design is current, engaging, and impeccably executed. It's no surprise that it consistently ranks as one of the top programs in the nation. Christopher Cummings, Engineering Manager, Stryker Medical R&D
Benefits to employers
- Enables new engineers to consider business issues in their decision making
- Decreases training time for new engineers
- Decreases management time spent on new engineers
The Program help identify good methods and practices in setting up operational layout and process flow of raw materials to finished good. This ties into the 'Lean Manufacturing' principles. Brad Walbridge, Senior Manufacturing Engineer/Quality Assurance, Doorglass Division, ODL
Engineering Management Core Courses (18 Credits)
- EM 5050 Continuous Improvement in Operations (3 cr)
- EM 5080 Advanced Quality Management (3 cr)
- EM 6000 Concepts and Principles of Engineering Management (3 cr)
- EM 6060 Capital Budgeting and Cost Analysis (3 cr)
- EM 6120 Production/Operations Management (3 cr)
- EM 6140 Project Management (3 cr)
Who should apply
Applicants should possess a bachelor's degree in a technical field like engineering, technology, mathematics, computer science or the physical sciences. Applicants must:
- Be currently working, seeking work, or are looking to advance their technical career by learning how to manage people, money and projects
- Be looking for an education based in innovation and flexibility
- Ready to apply new business-critical decision-making education to their workplace
The number of career opportunities for those with both technical competence and managerial skills are rapidly growing. Graduates of this program are qualified to work in mid-high level areas of supervision and management in the manufacturing and service environment.
Employer tuition reimbursement
If your employer has a tuition reimbursement program, find out about WMU’s deferment program for employer paid tuition.
"Best bang for the buck"
Washington Monthly placed WMU on a list of national universities that offer "the best bang for the buck." WMU came in at No. 50 based on the economic value students receive per dollar.
Receive information about this program, tuition and more.
Select “Domestic” if you are one of the following: US Citizen, US Dual Citizen, US Permanent Resident, Asylee/Refugee, or undocumented/DACA.