To assure all Western Michigan University owned, occupied or leased spaces at the WMU campuses in Kalamazoo and Battle Creek are properly managed.
Objectives of the University space management system are to:
- Maintain and provide a space inventory, including architectural floor plans and related text data.
- Provide meaningful data analysis and modeling of existing and projected space needs.
- Conduct on-going facility audits with the objective of physically verifying all spaces on campus.
- Conduct a review of space allocation on a periodic basis.
- Enable informed decisions and the equitable allocation of space through the Space Allocation Committee.
Space planning and allocation process
The space utilization manager within the Planning, Space Management and Capital Projects Division of WMU Facilities Management is responsible for the management of all space owned or leased by Western Michigan University. Space allocation decisions involving reassignment of space between non-related administrative areas are made under the direction of the space allocation committee, with information provided by the Planning, Space Management and Capital Projects or Engineering divisions of Facilities Management. In general, space already occupied by a particular college of the University may be reassigned within the college without approval of the committee.
Under the direction of the provost or president, the management process is as follows:
- The assignment of space to and the reallocation of space from academic or administrative units are done in collaboration with the college dean or administrative units are done in collaboration with the college dean or administrative head.
- The space utilization manager coordinates an analysis or facility data and a review of space utilization. This information will be the basis for making a decision on whether or not space will be reallocated.
- The space allocation committee conducts a review of requests for additional space and allocates space as needed within existing resources. The staff at Planning, Space Management and Capital Projects completes special studies and reports as needed to support the decision-making process.
Reports and work products
- Space allocation reports: organized by campus, building, college, department, program classification, room use category and occupant.
- University facility reports: organized by program classification and room use summaries.
- Research expenditures per net assignable square feet of research space and three year trend reports.
- Space utilization report including underutilized or vacant space studies.
- Space reallocation plans.
- Facilities utilization survey and verification.
- Research space verification and indirect cost recovery.
- Ad hoc reports and queries.
Computer integrated facility management system
Software tools are both network and PC based. PC-based tools include Microsoft Office—comprising of Word, Excel and Access; AutoCAD for facility graphics; and FAMIS Space Management for integrated graphic and data management.
FAMIS 8iR3 provides a multiple document interface, enabling user to simultaneously view and work with facilities drawings, databases and graphics. AutoCAD floor plans and an SQL database manager are fully integrated with the FAMIS Space Management Module.