Western Michigan University
1903 W Michigan Ave
Kalamazoo MI 49008-5268 USA
Dr. Julie Apker, associate director of faculty development, is a professor of communication and director of graduate studies in the School of Communication at Western Michigan University. She joined the WMU faculty in 2001 and teaches and conducts research in organizational and health communication. Her areas of specialization are:
- Interdisciplinary communication that improves health team dynamics.
- Caregiver role communication, particularly behaviors that affect bedside care delivery.
- Supportive communication that helps minimize or prevent job-related stressors.
- Leadership behaviors and practices that enhance organizational culture and change.
- Qualitative research methods.
Apker is the author of the textbook Communication in Health Organizations, published by Polity, Inc. Over the course of her career, Apker has presented her work at multiple academic conferences in medicine, nursing and communication. Her research work appears in peer-reviewed publications such as:
- Health Communication
- Journal of Applied Communication Research
- Joint Commission Journal of Quality and Patient Safety
From 2014 to 2016, Apker served as a WMU Graduate College faculty fellow with emphasis in faculty and student engagement and success. Education: M.A. & Ph.D., Communication Studies, Univ. of Kansas; B.A., Communication, Univ. of Wisconsin-Stevens Point.