WMU Family Engagement collaborates with the WMU community to engage and support parents, guardians, mentors, and family members. Providing educational resources, we promote and encourage inclusivity, student learning, self-advocacy, and healthy personal development. We foster long-lasting and positive relationships with WMU families and students through responsive communication and active involvement.
- all families should have access to essential resources
- in the value and importance of family engagement in supporting the University's efforts in recruitment and retention for the benefit of all.
- building relationships with families is vital to student success and long-lasting affinity to the University.
- offering comprehensive liaison support provides accurate information and reassurance to families.
- the student experience is strengthened and enhanced through partnership with family support systems.
- assisting with the discernment between developmental norms and red-flags leads to the increased likelihood of positive student outcomes and serves to mitigate difficult situations.
Making the transition from high school to college can be a huge step for both students and their loved ones. As students embark on a new and exciting educational journey, the family dynamics also undergo significant changes that while exciting, can also be unsettling.
Western Michigan University is committed to you as a valued partner in your student’s educational progress. Family Engagement provides a touchstone and a point of contact into WMU. Our services and programs are designed to assist you as together, we support your student, from prospective student throughout the years to graduation.
Family Engagement provides information and resources relevant to the student college experience, as well as sponsors educational and social events for students and families. We are active within the University community and readily accessible to help with questions or concerns.