Dollars & Sense
Two finance camps for students who have completed grades 8-12.
Does your student love Monopoly? The Game of Life? This camp is designed to help students plan for their future.
- Research and explore career pathways.
- Plan for post-secondary education and/or training.
- Learn about budgeting, saving, and investing.
- Visit local industries and/or businesses (8th-10th grade camp).
- Explore the Chicago Financial District (11th and 12th grade camp).
- Create a long-range career and financial plan.
- Meet business professionals and interact with real world work environments.
Additional elements are taught by finance experts in the Department of Finance and Commercial Law here at Western Michigan University. Classes will be discussion-based and fun! A trip to Chicago to visit stock exchanges, and meet with brokers and other finance professionals, is included in the 11th and 12th grade camp. The 8th-10th grade students will visit similar businesses locally.
All classes will be taught in Western Michigan University's Greenleaf Trust Trading Room, located in the Haworth College of Business. The trading room gives students a glimpse into a Wall Street environment right here in Kalamazoo. The room is equipped with the software and tools that finance professionals use every day.
Successful business people understand and can apply financial principals that are taught in the camp. The basis of these financial principles can help non-business people be successful in their personal finance lives too. Students can now get a glimpse into the world of finance and discover how they can harness the power to help themselves succeed in a business career, or even in their own personal lives as they think about things like their personal budget and how to achieve a comfortable standard of living.
- Project 1: Students will design a life cycle financial plan, laying out where they want to be in terms of their personal finances and personal life goals. Answering the question "How will I get there - from today through retirement?"
- Project 2: There will be an incentivized game the students will acquire at the beginning of camp and apply throughout the rest of their time there.
- 11th & 12th grade: June 22-26, 2020, 8:45 a.m.-4:00 p.m.
- 8th-10th grade: August 17 - 21, 2020, 8:45 a.m.-4:00 p.m.
- Western Michigan University's Haworth College of Business
Camp Cost: $299
- Lunch provided (except for the Chicago trip)
Help your student get a jump start on their future, sign up for the Dollars and Sense Camp today!
- June 15, 2020
Questions? Please call (269) 387-5125 or email Todd Mora.