Nationally and internationally recognized, Western Michigan University aspires to distinguish itself as learner centered, discovery driven and globally engaged. The WMU Global Leadership Program (formally known as the Global Ambassadors Program) is an innovative, four-year program that brings together all three University pillars. The leadership program is a joint initiative between Enrollment Management and the Haenicke Institute for Global Education.
In the Global Leadership Program students explore global topics and develop leadership skills through coursework, study abroad and local community involvement.
- Benefits of Global Leadership Program
- Program Components
- Costs and Scholarships
- Learn More and Apply!
The WMU Global Leadership program provides a four-year curriculum that guides students through an exploration of global topics and the development of the leadership skills necessary in an increasingly globalized world.
Through the program, students will:
- Become informed, open-minded and responsible leaders who are attentive to diversity across a spectrum of differences
- Explore how their actions affect both local and global communities
- Address a global issue, locally by collaborating with a community organization
- Develop intercultural communication skills
- Serve as Western Michigan University representatives abroad
- Gain academic and professional international experience
The WMU Global Leadership Program is a four-year curriculum with the following structure:
"Beyond the Classroom"
Applicants for the WMU Global Leadership Program must be:
- A first-time, incoming freshman
- Fully-admitted to WMU
- A domestic, undergraduate student
- Studying in a four-year or five-year academic program
The cost of the Global Leadership Program is $2,500 per semester. The program cost includes all program components (tuition, course materials, travel, retreats, etc.).
The Global Leadership Program awards fully-funded scholarships to the top 10 applicants. Applicants are accepted in to the program who do not receive a program scholarship are eligible to apply for scholarship funding through WMU Study Abroad and other university sources during semesters that include study abroad components.
Applicants will be admitted to the Global Leadership Program on a rolling basis. All applicants received before the March 1 priority deadline will be considered for a program scholarship.
Applicants will be admitted to the Global Leadership Program on a rolling basis until July 1. All applications received by the April 1 (11:59 p.m.) EXTENDED priority deadline will be considered for a Global Leadership Program scholarship. Scholarship decisions will be announced in April.
If you weren't able catch the June 24 webinar, you can watch it here!
Contact the Haenicke Institute for Global Education with additional questions at firstname.lastname@example.org.