Western Michigan University offers several scholarships and awards throughout the year that encourage students to better acquaint themselves with life and culture outside the United States, further develop a foreign language, and begin their journey to becoming global citizens.
Please pay close attention to the eligibility requirements for each award, as not all students are eligible for all awards.
Global and International Studies Study Abroad Scholarships
The global and international studies (GIST) program will begin offering a brand new study abroad scholarship to support GIST majors in their study abroad endeavors up to $500! More details and application information to come soon.
Additional STudy Abroad scholarships
- College of Arts and Sciences International Study Scholarship
This scholarship is offered twice a year with deadlines on Feb. 15 and Oct. 15. Be sure to review the application requirements prior to submitting all materials to the College of Arts and Sciences dean's office. Begin your application early to allow time to collect all required materials, including a sponsor form to be completed by a faculty member. While you must state your intended study abroad program, you may apply for this scholarship even if you have not yet been accepted into that program. Feel free to meet with our academic advisor if you would like your application reviewed prior to submitting it.
- President’s Grant for Study Abroad
- Lee Honors College scholarships
- Haenicke Institute for Global Education Study Abroad Scholarship
- Gilman International Scholarship (Students receiving Federal Pell Grant funding are eligible to apply)
- Critical Language Scholarship (U.S. State Department funded summer language institute – Non-WMU program)
- Boren Scholarship (Program should have a serious language component)
- Freeman-ASIA Award (Need-based funding for study abroad to East or Southeast Asia)
Scholarships and awards
- College of Arts and Sciences Diversity and Inclusion Student Writing Prize
- College of Arts and Sciences Undergraduate Research and Creative Activities Award
- Robert Kleiner Memorial Scholarship
- Student Sustainability Grant
- Private Foundation Scholarships
- Lee Honors College Scholarships
Coming soon: A scholarship exclusively for GIST majors! We anticipate the first award will be in Fall 2020. Check back for the application around August/September 2020.
If you have an additional major or minor in another department, you may be eligible for scholarships and awards offered by that department. Please visit the appropriate departmental website for more information. As some of you are also majoring or minoring in a foreign language, be sure to see what scholarships and awards the Departments of World Languages and Literatures and Spanish have to offer.