WMU’s goal is to maintain a healthy campus environment by providing COVID-testing with no out-of-pocket cost to all WMU students and employees. As part of the Safe Return Plan, the health center has set up guidelines to help you get tested:
WMU-sponsored testing will be offered as students and employees return to campus. Eligibility continues through the spring 2021 semester for these groups:
- Students enrolled in Spring 2021
- Employees at work or returning to campus, including part-time instructors
- Temp employees who answer 'yes' to a screening question on a day they are expected to be at work
- If you have had a positive COVID-19 test, we follow CDC guidelines that recommend not testing for at least 90 days
How it works
The health center will bill your insurance first in most cases, and WMU will cover any unpaid portion of the visit charge. Uninsured students or those with non-participating insurances (such as Blue Care Network) will be covered by WMU as outlined below. Insurance information will be collected from all participants.
What is covered by WMU’s testing plan
Screening appointment and test:
- For those without symptoms and who have not had close-contact exposure to a person with COVID-19
- Four total per eligible student or employee through the academic year ending Aug. 20, 2021
- Drive-thru test scheduled as supplies allow
- Additional screening visits are patient responsibility and are not covered by insurance
- Call (269) 387-3287 to make an appointment
Diagnostic visit and test:
- For those with symptoms or close-contact exposure to a person with confirmed COVID-19
- For those who answer “yes” on a screening questionnaire when coming to campus
- Scheduled telehealth visit and drive through swab collection
- Not limited; may cover multiple tests as required for symptoms or confirmed exposure
- Use the patient portal to make an appointment
Other groups ARE not covered by WMU’s testing plan
Sindecuse Health Center provides testing to others as well. For people in these groups, the cost of an appointment and test is the patient’s responsibility and is not covered by WMU. These include alumni or students within one year of last attendance; non-enrolled students; dependents or spouses of employees; retirees; and students or employees of KVCC and Kalamazoo College. Payment is expected at time of service.
Note: If testing supplies become limited for any reason, WMU reserves the right to limit testing to those who have symptoms, or who have had contact with a confirmed positive case. Supplies can be unpredictable and subject to change without notice.