WMU’s goal is to maintain a healthy campus environment by providing COVID-testing with no out-of-pocket cost to all WMU students and employees. As part of the Safe Return Plan, the health center has set up guidelines to help you get tested:
WMU-sponsored testing will be offered as students and employees return to campus. Eligibility continues through the fall semester for these groups:
- Students enrolled in Fall 2020
- Employees at work or returning to campus, including part-time instructors
- Temp employees who answer 'yes' to a screening question on a day they are expected to be at work
How it works
Call (269) 387-3287 or use the patient portal to make an appointment. The health center will bill your insurance first in most cases, and WMU will cover any unpaid portion of the visit charge. Uninsured students or those with non-participating insurances (such as Blue Care Network) will be covered by WMU as outlined below. Insurance information will be collected from all participants.
What is covered by WMU’s testing plan
Screening appointment and test:
- For those without symptoms
- Two per student or employee (2nd no-cost test offered on or after Sept. 8, 2020)
- Screening appointment with nursing staff or at outreach clinic, swab completed at visit
- Additional screening visits are patient responsibility and are not covered by insurance
- Examples include students moving into housing, athlete screens, staff returning to work, or supervisor-directed
Diagnostic visit and test:
- For those with symptoms or close-contact exposure to a person with confirmed COVID-19
- For those who answer “yes” on a screening questionnaire when coming to campus
- Scheduled telehealth visit and drive through swab collection
- Not limited; may cover multiple tests as required for symptoms or confirmed exposure
Other groups ARE not covered by WMU’s testing plan
Sindecuse Health Center provides testing to others as well. For people in these groups, the cost of an appointment and test is the patient’s responsibility and is not covered by WMU. These include alumni or students within one year of last attendance; non-enrolled students; dependents or spouses of employees; retirees; and students or employees of KVCC and Kalamazoo College. Payment is expected at time of service.
Note: If testing supplies become limited for any reason, WMU reserves the right to limit testing to those who have symptoms, or who have had contact with a confirmed positive case. Supplies can be unpredictable and subject to change without notice.