Men's Violence Prevention Program
Gentlemen United Wellness Leadership Certificate
Western Michigan University is proud to launch a new co-curricular prevention leadership program. This pilot program, called Gentlemen United, is designed to empower men to step up and make WMU a safe and fun place for everyone. Supported by grant funding from Michigan First Lady Sue Snyder's Campus Sexual Assault Grant Program and WMU's Division of Student Affairs, this program will select 25 students to complete leadership training while having meaningful conversations about how to have great relationships, understanding consent, and encouraging healthy social habits.
Goals of program
Students in this program will:
- Learn about their individual leadership styles and how that impacts those around them.
- Learn effective communication skills to use with people of different backgrounds.
- Lead a project to initiate and sustain change in campus culture.
- Gain new resume-building skills and experiences.
- Weekly meetings based on applicant schedules.
- Certified Peer Education training on a weekend Friday (3 to 10 p.m.) and Saturday (8 a.m. to 5 p.m.). Exact dates to be determined.
Benefits of participation
Participants in this program will:
- Obtain National Peer Education Certification.
- Be eligible for optional academic credit (internship, practicum or elective credit).
- Build relationships with professionals who can provide mentoring and letters of recommendation.
- Gain valuable experience to add to a resume.
- Have the opportunity to join a growing community of students, faculty and staff advocating for a safer and healthier WMU.
Interested? Apply online now! We accept applications on a rolling basis for the next semester. Early application is encouraged as space is limited.
Applicants will be contacted via email to schedule an interview during the first few weeks of each semester.
If you have any questions or are interested in joining Gentlemen United please call or email:
Male Violence Prevention Coordinator
Sindecuse Health Center
Phone (269) 387-2999
Mini Grant Application
Mini Grant Application Due April 17