Men's Violence Prevention Program
This is a Registered Student Organization (RSO) and leadership development program open to students of all gender identities united to change the culture and end sexual violence at WMU. Our focus is on encouraging men to address masculine stereotypes and step up to make Western a safer and fun place for everyone. Supported by grant funding from the State of Michigan Campus Sexual Assault Grant Program, this program engages students in learning how to have meaningful conversations, great relationships, and lead social change.
- THETA CHI
- PI KAPPA ALPHA
- DELTA SIGMA PHI
- PHI MU ALPHA
Goals of program
Students in this program will:
- Learn about masculinity, violent ideologies, bystander intervention, consent, healthy relationships, and social wellbeing.
- Learn effective communication skills to use with people of different backgrounds.
- Lead a project to initiate and sustain change in campus culture.
- Monthly meetings based on applicant schedules.
- Additional opportunities are available for students interested in leading programs and events.
Benefits of participation
Participants in this program will:
- Be eligible for optional WMU Signature and/or academic credit (internship, practicum or elective credit).
- Build relationships with professionals who can provide mentoring and letters of recommendation.
- Gain valuable experience to add to a resume.
- Have the opportunity to join a growing community of students, faculty and staff advocating for a safer and healthier WMU.
Interested? Please fill out an application here. We accept applications on a rolling basis. Applicants will be contacted via email to schedule a meeting to learn more about the opportunities.
If you have any questions or are interested in joining Gentlemen United please call or email:
Male Violence Prevention Coordinator
Health Promotion and Education
Phone (269) 387-2999