Unlike August move-in, there are not reserved loading spaces around the buildings. Student move out during the entire week vs. one or two days. Parking Services will enforce reserved and handicapped parking spaces.
December move-out: Halls close at 7 p.m. Friday, Dec. 14, 2018. Students continuing spring semester do not need to move out over winter break. We do, however, recommend taking home valuables and items needed over break since students will not be able to access the residence halls Dec. 15, 2018 to Jan. 4, 2019.
Students leaving the university due to graduation, study abroad or withdrawing from classes will need to check out of their residence hall room. Please follow the steps below.
April move-out: Halls close at 7 p.m. Friday, April 26, 2019.
There are three key parts to checking out of the room:
- Removing personal belongings.
- Cleaning the room and putting it back the way it was at move in.
- Checking out with a staff member.
Students with lofted beds will need to de-loft their beds the weekend before finals.
Cleaning the room
- Cleaning supplies are available from the hall office and front desk.
- Sweep and mop the floor.
- Wipe down all surfaces—furniture, radiator, window sill—to remove dust, debris and stains.
- Remove stickers, graffiti or other items from both sides of the door.
- Remove all tape, putty and adhesive from the walls, ceiling, furniture, windows and other surfaces.
- For suites: Clean the bathroom, including the shower and the toilet. Throw away your shower curtain, but leave the clips.
Log on to GoWMU to change your mail forwarding address. Because some items like magazines cannot be forwarded, we also recommend updating your mailing address with businesses and magazines.
A hall staff member will check the room with the resident after the room is cleaned and personal possessions removed. Rooms must be returned to a condition and safety level comparable to the beginning of occupancy; reasonable wear and tear excepted. The student staff member that goes through this checkout process does not have the final say on damages to the room. Later, the hall professional staff also checks the room. Residents are held responsible for and reimburse the University for damages to the room or furniture.
Tips for a hassle-free move out
- In April, start taking things home that you don’t need. It will mean less to pack and carry when you do checkout.
- Attend your floor’s move-out meeting.
- 24 hour quiet hours begin at 11:59 p.m. the Saturday before finals week.
- Take a look around your room. Enter any maintenance items into Bronco Fix-It so you don’t have to worry about them later.
- Large dumpsters will be outside for lumber, carpets and furniture. Items that can be donated like clothes and food will have a separate area inside the hall.
- Allow about an hour to move everything from the room to your car. It helps if everything is packed before any move-out helpers arrive.
- You can leave any time during finals week. With the traffic around the halls and a high demand for the elevators, leaving early may mean avoiding the congestion of the last day.
- Mops, brooms and other basic cleaning supplies will be available at the front desk. There will also be an adhesive remover to get things off the walls.
- Laundry carts will be available, but on a first come, first serve basis.
- All policies are still in effect during finals week! Students with disruptive behavior may be asked to leave immediately.