Western Michigan University aspires to advance the global and intercultural competence of its students, staff, faculty and the communities it serves. The Haenicke Institute for Global Education is one of the primary drivers of global engagement on campus. Learn about the many ways that members of the WMU community can increase their global competency at wmich.edu/global.
A globally, interculturally competent person:
- Continually seeks to develop a diverse and knowledgeable worldview.
- Comprehends international dimensions in their major field of study or work.
- Communicates effectively in a second language and/or cross-culturally.
- Exhibits cross-cultural sensitivity and adaptability.
- Collaborates effectively and is able to make comparisons across cultures.
State of Global Engagement at WMU Address
Watch a State of Global Engagement at WMU address by Dr. Paulo Zagalo-Melo, associate provost of the Haenicke Institute for Global Education.