Due to an increasing rate of criminal cyber activity throughout the nation and the requirements of the university’s cybersecurity insurance agency, all faculty and staff must activate two-factor authentication (2FA) for their Bronco NetID accounts by the end of this fiscal year. Starting June 22 at 8 a.m., all faculty and staff who have not already activated 2FA will be required to do so. Beginning May 17, faculty and staff who have not activated 2FA will receive weekly emails, leading up to the deadline, with instructions and information about support resources that are available to them.
What is 2FA?
2FA adds an extra layer of security by sending a notification to your mobile device when you log in so that you may verify that it is you and not a criminal. Alternative 2FA access options are available for those with accessibility needs or without access to a mobile device. 2FA has been mandatory for all students since February 2020 and was previously optional for faculty and staff. Although some may already be required to use 2FA to access the Virtual Private Network (VPN), 2FA must still be activated for all systems that use the WMU Login service, with their Bronco NetID and password, such as GoWMU, Elearning, Email, and other common web-based applications. 2FA is not required to log in to desktop and laptop computers.
Phase 1 - Information Technology Staff (COMPLETE)
- April 12, 2021 - Begin communications to IT staff who have not activated 2FA
- May 10, 2021, 8 a.m. - 2FA is required for all IT staff
Phase 2 - All Faculty and Staff
- May 19, 2021 - University-wide email announcement
- May 25, 2021 - Begin weekly communications to individuals who have not activated 2FA
- June 22, 2021, 8 a.m. - All faculty and staff are required to use 2FA. Those who have not activated 2FA will be required to do so before logging in.