Document Changes

Transitioning can be a long and stressful process but the following supporting resources may be able to help. The Office of LBGT Student Services does not endorse any specific practice or legal route,  this is only to share information of what is in the accessible area. The Office of LBGT Student Services encourages those who are considering transitioning to do their own research and ask questions to find the best options that work for them.


  • Academic Records - Log onto GoWMU, click on "View/Update My Personal Information", click on "View/Update Preferred Name"
  • Bronco Card - A student may declare a preferred first name to be displayed on the front of the Bronco Card with legal name on the back. The student is responsible for the $30 replacement fee unless there is a legal name change. If there is a legal name change, the student has completed the legal name change process with WMU, brings the old ID, and brings legal documentation of name change, the replacement fee is waived.
  • Legal Name Change - Complete, notarize and return the affidavit form to the Office of the Registrar by mail or in person. Faxed or emailed forms will not be accepted. Legal proof of name change is required.


  • County ID - To receive an ID card, you must be able to show proof of residence in Kalamazoo County and provide proof of identity. Applicants must produce documents totaling 300 – 400 points following the ID program's point system to qualify for a County ID.


  • Name Change - Applicants must submit a petition to the court, publish notice of the petition, and provide two sets of fingerprints if they're over the age of 22.
  • Gender Change (birth certificate) - The state of Michigan does allow change of gender on a birth certificate if the request is "accompanied by an affidavit of a physician certifying that sex-reassignment surgery has been performed."
  • Gender Change (drivers license) - To update your gender on a Michigan ID, the applicant should fill out this form and bring a physical copy to the Secretary of State office when applying for a Michigan ID. This form is not a name change form.

Outside of Michigan

  • Law Help Interactive - Provides self-help forms and checklists according to state availability.
  • Trans Equality - Provides an interactive map, general information, and options to select which IDs and records you would like to change.