Each year, we gather statistics for the Association of College and Research Libraries and the Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS) surveys. Here are some highlights from our 2016-17 fiscal year. Unless otherwise stated, they cover all branches of Western Michigan University Libraries.
The Libraries employed 23 librarians, 57 support staff and 44 student assistants to provide information services and resources for the WMU community.
Use and Services
- Library personnel handled 7,261 research queries in person, by phone and online.
- Librarians provided 389 instructional sessions and workshops reaching 8,307 participants.
- Annual gate count was 634,451 with about 14,218 people coming into the Libraries in an average week in Fall semester.
- 63,903 physical items were checked out during the year (not counting renewals).
- WMU Libraries borrowed 8,492 items for WMU users from other libraries and lent 25,533 from our collections to other libraries.
- The Libraries' website was visited 258,502 times.
- WMU users retrieved 1,122,749 articles and 833,632 e-books and media items.
- There were 1,680,876 downloads worldwide from WMU’s institutional repository (ScholarWorks).
- 2,125,694 pages were printed in the Libraries.
- Physical books (titles): 1,287,149
- Electronic books: 661,724
- Physical subscriptions (includes titles that are no longer active): 84,887
- Electronic subscriptions: 80,141
- Online databases: 699
- Physical media titles (audio/visual): 148,933
- Digital media titles: 159,967
- Items uploaded to WMU’s institutional repository: 5,102