Laptop Availability Update: All loaner laptops are checked out at this time. Please check back here for updates or call Waldo Library at (269) 387-5059.
Spring Semester Update: If you are leaving campus, you may take your laptop and/or webcam home with you once classes switch to remote learning. The due date for loaner equipment charged to your library account has been extended to May 7, 2021. This will give students who are not returning to campus after spring recess additional time to safely return their loaner equipment back to Waldo Library. See how to return your equipment.
If you are taking summer or fall courses, you may be able to renew your loaner laptop and/or webcam by emailing email@example.com. If you are able to renew your equipment, it does not need to be returned at this time.
Western Michigan University Libraries, in collaboration with the Office of Information Technology, has a limited supply of PC laptops and webcams available for loan. Laptops and webcams can be checked out for an entire semester by any registered WMU student who is in need of these items to complete their coursework.
All loaner laptops meet WMU's minimum laptop specification recommendation. These laptops may not meet college-specific recommendations if you are attending one of those programs.
The Adesso's CyberTrack H3 webcam features:
- 720p HD video resolution
- Video conferencing
- 1.3 megapixel CMOS sensor with maximum resolution
- Built-in wide-angle microphone
How to check out equipment
Laptops and webcams are available on a first-come, first-served basis. Bring your Bronco Card to the Service Desk at Waldo Library during open hours to check out an item. You will be asked to sign an agreement as part of the checkout process.
The due date for loaner equipment is May 7, 2021. If your loaned item is not returned within 45 days after the due date, it will be considered lost and a replacement fee will be charged to your University account.
Returning your loaner equipment in-person
- Drop off your loaner laptop and/or webcam to the Waldo Library Service Desk anytime during open hours.
- Please do not return loaner equipment to the external book return boxes.
Returning your loaner laptop by mail or courier
- Mail or ship your loaner laptop to: Waldo Library, Western Michigan University, 1903 W. Michigan Avenue, Kalamazoo, MI 49008-5353, Attn: User Services Department.
- Please follow the safe shipping instructions below.
Laptop safe shipping instructions
- Turn the power completely off. Don’t just close the lid.
- Wipe down and clean the laptop with a dry cloth.
- Pro-tip: For additional protection, place a thin layer of bubble wrap or foam between the keyboard and screen to protect the keys and screen while the laptop is closed.
- Wrap the shell of the machine with plastic or bubble wrap. To further protect against the risks posed by static electricity in transit, place the laptop in a snug-fitting plastic bag. Separately wrap any cables, power supply and other accessories in bubble wrap.
- Place the device inside the shipping box and fill any remaining space with additional packaging material, such as foam inserts or bubble wrap, to hold the machine securely in place. It's best to avoid loose packaging, such as polystyrene peanuts, as loose material is less effective at preventing the laptop from sliding around on the move. Add the power supply and cables into the box.
- Pro-Tip: Fedex and UPS sell boxes with foam lining specifically designed for laptops.
- Gently shake the box to ensure it is securely packed and there is no internal sliding. Close the box and tightly seal with tape along all seams to prevent moisture from getting in.
- Clearly address the package to: Waldo Library, Western Michigan University, 1903 W. Michigan Avenue, Kalamazoo, MI 49008-5353, Attn: User Services Department
- We recommend also purchasing shipping insurance for $1,000 and/or delivery confirmation in case of loss or damage during transport. You are fully responsible for the device until it reaches campus.
As indicated in your laptop loan agreement, all students are responsible for the safe return of university laptops to the library. Limited support is available to students that need to ship a laptop back to the library at the end of the semester, but cannot afford to do so. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to request support.
How to Get Help with Your equipment
Contact the Technology Help Desk if you experience a problem or need assistance with your loaner laptop or webcam. Equipment with significant problems can be returned to Waldo Library and based on availability, a replacement will be issued.
Lost, Stolen or Damaged equipment
If your loaner laptop or webcam is lost, stolen or damaged during the loan period, notify Waldo Library immediately at (269) 387-5059 or email@example.com. You are financially responsible for the cost of repairing or replacing the item.