The Developmental Math Program in the Department of Mathematics at Western Michigan University uses online homework programs so that students can get immediate feed back on skill type questions as well as study aids 24/7.
Before you begin
To register for MathXL or MyMathLab you will need:
- A Pearson Education Account student access code (packaged with your new text or available for purchase with a credit card or PayPal account directly form the Pearson website): MathXL for Math 1090 students or MyMathLab for Math 1100 students.
- Your school’s ZIP code: 49008.
- A valid Western Michigan University email address.
- Your course ID (you can paste the course ID if you click on switch to single box for pasting your course ID).
- Go to www.mathxl.com (1090 students) or www.pearsonmylabandmastering.com (1100 students)
- click the student button under register. If you have an access code (either purchased stand alone or packaged with your textbook), click yes, I have an access code. If you need to purchase access, click no, I need to buy access.
- On the Access Information screen, you will be asked whether you all ready have a Pearson Education Account. Click:
- Yes if you have registered for other Pearson online products and already have a login name and password. Boxes will appear for you to enter your login information.
- Not sure if you want to check if you have a pre-existing account and receive an email with your login name and password.
- No if this is the first time you have registered for a Pearson online product. Boxes will appear for you to create your login name and password. Your login name must be at least four characters and can not be the same as your password. Do not use your WMU Bronco NetID or password. The Pearson login page is not SSL/HTTPS (encrypted) protected. This means that any time you log into the site, someone could intercept the username and password. You are strongly encouraged to use only secure wireless access like WMUSecure and to avoid free, public wireless that can be found in coffee shops and other eating establishments. If using unsecured wireless, it is advised to connect to web services with a VPN (virtual private network). If you are unfamiliar with this, you are advised to contact WMU’s Help Desk, (269)387-4357, if you have any questions.
- Type in your student access code using the tab key to move from one box to the next. Click next after you have entered your code.
- Simply follow the registration screens and enter your information as prompted. You will enter you name, WMU email address, school information and provide a security question/answer to ensure the privacy of your account.
- When your registration process is complete you will see a confirmation screen (this information will also be emailed to you). Click log in now to reach the MathXL or MyMathLab login page. Enter your login name and password and click on log in.
- Go to www.mathxl.com (1090 students) or www.pearsonmylabandmastering.com (1100 students), enter the login name and password you just created, and click log in.
- The first time you log in to MathXL or MyMathLab , you have the option of either enrolling in your instructor's online course or studying on your own. (You can change this setting later if you wish.) Click the enroll in a new course button.
Your instructor has set up a course for you, so select I am taking a course that is using MathXL/MyMathLab and need to enroll in my instructor’s course and then enter your course ID in the fields provided. You can paste your course ID if you click on switch to single box for pasting your course ID.
- Click the enroll button.
- Run the browser check or installation wizard to install any plug-ins or players your computer needs to run MathXL or MyMathLab . After completing the installation process, and closing the wizard you will be on your course home page.