Western Michigan University’s Haworth College of Business is launching new course requirements for Master of Business Administration students beginning in fall 2021. If you plan to enroll in the program in fall 2021 or later, please refer to the course guides below.
Program Requirements Beginning Fall 2021
All MBA students will complete a minimum of 12 courses (36 credit hours). Students with no prior business courses may need to complete up to four additional courses (12 credit hours). You have flexibility in establishing the sequence of courses.
You are encouraged to meet with the MBA advisor to draft a schedule of courses. Your advisor will guide you in course selection and answer any questions you have about your schedule.
The business core (prerequisite) courses may be waived for students who have a bachelor’s degree in business administration or have completed relevant coursework.
• ACTY 6010—Accountancy
• FIN 6020—Corporate Finance
• ECON 6010—Basic Economic Analysis
• Data Analytics Foundations (course number to be determined)
Graduate students whose native language in not English and who do not have a degree from a U.S. institution must take the Academic Communication Placement Test at the beginning of their first semester of enrollment. A student who does not pass this examination is assigned to the Academic Communication for Business Purposes course—BCM 6050.
Skills and Knowledge (7 courses, 21 credit hours)
• MBA 6001—Presentation, Negotiation and Communication for Managers
• MBA 6002—Leadership for Managers
• MBA 6003—Data Analytics for Managerial Decision Making
• MBA 6004—Finance for Managerial Decision Making
• MBA 6005—Accounting for Managerial Decision Making
• MBA 6006—Marketing for Managerial Decision Making
• MBA 6007—Strategic Management
Electives (5 courses, 15 credit hours)
At least one course from MBA 6010-6014
• MBA 6010—Process Management Strategy
• MBA 6011—Business Law and Ethics
• MBA 6012—Sustainable Business Strategies for Managers
• MBA 6013—Trade and Global Business Strategy
• MBA 6014—Advanced Analytics for Managerial Decision Making
• MBA 6020—Professional Experience
• MBA 6021—Work-Based Project
• MBA 6022—Current Issues in Business
• BUS 6960—Study Abroad
Students may select courses at the 5000 or 6000+ level from the Haworth College of Business (ACTY, BCM, CIS, FIN, MGMT, MKTG) and may also select courses at the 5000 or 6000+ level from colleges outside of the Haworth College of Business with approval from both the MBA advisor and the advisor from the other college, department or graduate program.