Veterans, dependents, active-duty military personnel and reservists receiving funding assistance from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs may qualify for tutorial assistance. Students enrolled at least half-time may qualify.

Available Benefit and Eligibility

  • The monthly rate of tutorial assistance may not exceed the cost of tutoring or $100 per month. The maximum amount payable is $1,200 per year.
  • There is no entitlement charge for the first $600 under the Montgomery GI Bill®.
  • There is no entitlement charge under the post-9/11GI Bill® or DEA.

It is your obligation to pay the tutor ($10 per hour) after each session, and then await reimbursement from the VA. Reimbursement will only be approved by the certifying official (Brenda Hamlyn) if all of the following criteria are met:

  • The student must be deficient in the course according to his/her professor. A letter from the course instructor should be in the student's VA file stating that the student is deficient in the course and that individual tutoring is required to correct the deficiency.
  • The course must be a requirement for the student's major/minor.
  • The student must be currently enrolled at least half-time (six to eight credit hours in fall/spring; three to four credit hours in summer I/II).
  • The tutor must be approved by the Office of Military and Veterans Affairs.



To receive tutoring assistance, you must:

1) Contact the Office of Military and Veterans Affairs.

2) Fill out the VA form and the tutor request form.

Note: Fill out sections 1 through 9, 15 and 16, and make multiple copies before finishing the form.

3) Get a deficiency letter from your professor.

4) The Office of Military and Veterans Affairs will contact you with your tutor's information. Your tutor will be informed that he/she has a match, but it is your responsibility to contact him/her.

5) Meet with your tutor to set dates, times and expectations. You will have to pay your tutor $10 per hour at each meeting.

6) Turn in VA form to the Office of Military and Veterans Affairs at 1275 Ellsworth Hall by the 5th of every month by 5 p.m. The office will get the approving signature and fax or send your form in for you.

Note: If you turn in your paperwork after the 5th of every month, your reimbursement will be delayed.


To become an OMVA tutor, you must:

  • Have completed at least 1 semester at WMU
  • Have a 3.5 or better
  • Have a BA in the class you want to tutor
  • Be available for training
  • Be open to working nights and weekends
  • Possess excellent oral and written communication skills

For more information or questions, please contact the Office of Military and Veterans Affairs.