The governing board at each university in Michigan has the authority to establish a residency policy for admissions and/or tuition and fee purposes. Therefore, policies will vary between institutions and are independent of those used by the State to determine residency for purposes such as income, property tax liability, driving or voting.
Any Western Michigan University undergraduate student who has been admitted as a degree seeking student and began enrollment as of the Spring 2017 semester or earlier, may apply for in-state resident status for any semester/session in which they are enrolled in on-campus courses by completing a residency application in accordance with University procedure. Graduate students may apply for in-state resident status for any semester/session in which they are enrolled in on-campus courses by completing a residency application in accordance with university procedure.
Any Western Michigan University undergraduate student who has been admitted as a degree seeking student and began enrollment effective with the Summer 1 2017 semester or later, will have their residency status determined at the time of admission and it will remain the same throughout the student’s enrollment at Western Michigan University.
The simplest way to obtain residency for tuition paying purposes at Western Michigan University is provide a copy of your Michigan driver's license, enroll in and complete four consecutive semesters of on-campus classes (e.g. fall, spring, summer I, summer II) and then submit Western Michigan University’s Residency Application. You must be a U.S. citizen or have a permanent visa to qualify.
Residency may be based on the student, the parent or the spouse of the student. Necessary documentation will vary based on individual situations, but all students are required to:
- Sign, date and complete Western Michigan University’s Residency Application
- Provide a copy of student’s Michigan Driver’s License or Michigan State ID if the student does not drive in any state
- Provide proof of visa status or U.S. citizenship if born outside of the United States
- Be enrolled in on-campus classes at Western Michigan University
Additional documentation may include, but is not limited to:
- Employment verification including letter from employer for student
- Michigan Driver’s License of parent or spouse applicant is basing residency on
- Employment verification of parent or spouse applicant is basing residency on
- State and Federal tax returns along with W2 (student, parent, and/or spouse)
- In-person monthly financial activity statements (ATM, Debit, Credit Card, Checking and/or Savings) for all months when not enrolled in on-campus classes in Michigan
- Marriage license, birth certificate, etc.
Where to Apply
Applications and appropriate documentation can be:
- Delivered in person to Western Michigan University, Accounts Receivable Office, Seibert Administration Building, Room 1060
- Faxed: (269)387-4227
- Mailed to Western Michigan University, Accounts Receivable Office, 1903 W. Michigan Ave., Kalamazoo, MI 49008-5210
- PDF scan can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please make sure you do not send any Social Security, Bank Account or Credit Card numbers thru email.
All veterans, active duty military personnel and their dependents are classified as residents for tuition-paying purposes. Applicants must indicate past military experience within the admissions application and submit verification of military status to be granted in-state tuition rates. More information can be found by visiting the Veteran’s Services website through the Registrar’s Office.
Additional information can be found in Western Michigan University's Residency Policy and Application for Admissions and/or Tuition and Fee Purposes and in the list of frequently asked questions by selecting Residency.
You can also email email@example.com or call the dedicated residency line at (269) 387-2366 with questions or concerns and we will be happy to assist you.