Undergraduate: How to apply
- WMU Application: Submit a general application to Western Michigan University: wmich.edu/apply.
If you are considering more than one major within Music, you still need only one (1) WMU application. (If, however, you want to double major in Music and in another department, you need separate WMU applications.)
- Music Fee: Before scheduling a Music audition and/or interview, each applicant must first pay a $40 music application fee at the following website: ShopWMU Music Admissions Store
- Music Application: After submitting your payment, you will be sent a direct link to our Music Application Form to provide detailed information about your musical background and select a date to attend campus for a New Student Admissions Day. If you wish to apply for more than one major within Music, you should submit separate Music Applications for each (since you will be prompted for different information).
- For spring 2019 admission
Friday, Nov. 2, 2018
- For fall 2019 admission
Saturday, Jan. 19, 2019
Friday, Feb. 1, 2019
Friday, Feb. 15, 2019
If you live more than 300 miles from Kalamazoo, MI you may submit materials online.
See the Long Distance information below.
Before you can be admitted to any music program (BA, BMA, BM or BS), you must complete our audition/interview and testing program at one of the dates indicated above. This is a full-day event which takes place on campus. For more specific information about the audition requirements for your major, see Academics / Undergraduate and Admissions Requirements. You must audition and/or interview in November, January or February to ensure entrance and scholarship consideration. Programs and studios are limited in the number of students that may be accepted. Admission is highly competitive. Students may apply a maximum of two times for any program or studio. If you cannot come to WMU on one of these dates, please notify us promptly and we will attempt to determine an alternate date.
Graduate: How to apply
- Complete a Graduate Admissions Application to Western Michigan University. International students should begin at the International Admissions and Services website.
- Within the School of Music, you will be required to complete an audition and/or submit a portfolio of documents as appropriate to your intended degree and area of concentration. It is strongly encouraged that you make your arrangements with the appropriate faculty member to visit campus in person prior to March 1 for an audition or interview. Please see the School of Music's Graduate Studies page for more detailed information about each degree program.
- If you would like to be considered for a Graduate Assistantship, you will need to complete a separate GA application form by Feb. 15. Not all GA positions are available each year, so check with the appropriate faculty for availability. GA applications require three letters of recommendation which should be sent online as part of your WMU application. More information is available on the graduate assistantships web page.
While it is preferable to audition or interview in person, if you live more than 300 miles from Kalamazoo, MI, you may submit a portfolio of materials (e.g., videos, scores, etc.) online. You must still follow the regular Music application process as described above and should indicate "Long Distance" in place of the NSAD date. Some studios may use video submissions for pre-screening purposes (e.g., conducting, voice) and will still require an in-person audition for final admission. It is recommended that you contact the appropriate studio faculty regarding any questions about repertoire. Go to the WMU Music Submissions website for specific instructions on uploading materials. For optimal consideration, your materials should be received by Feb. 1.
In the unlikely event that weather forces WMU to close, School of Music auditions will need to be canceled. Information on the University's status may be found at www.wmich.edu or by calling (269) 387-1001. Information on the status of School of Music auditions will be available at (269) 387-4672.
For questions regarding Undergraduate admissions contact the Music Undergraduate Advisor, firstname.lastname@example.org, (269) 387-4672
For questions regarding Graduate admissions contact the Music Graduate Coordinator, email@example.com or (269) 387-4672.